Full Cockpit Enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Steve Stringer

Island Nautical wants over $1800 just for a Bimini and a Dodger. I was hoping to find someone with patterns for a full enclosure and have the whole thing made for a couple grand. Opinions and recommendations appreciated Steve

B

Barry

They're the lowest price

The only way to beat that is to buy it at a winter boat show. They have much better deals. I got mine at Sail Expo, Atlantic City. Very happy with it after 5 years but their frames are made of aluminum. Most folks who want a full enclosure pay $3-4K. Barry s/v "PER DIEM too"

M

Mark Johnson

$1800 sounds cheap for..

a dodger and bimini. Island Nautical tends to be cheaper than the custom shops because they use aluminum frames. But to be fair and compare apples to apples make sure they quote you with stainless frames and not aluminum. Aluminum doesn't stand up well..trust me, I had them. Mark Johnson

S

Steve Stringer

OK, I'll spend more for stainless steel

wow, thanks for the quick responses! $1800+ gets me aluminum frames and no full enclosure. What I need is another source for the full enclousure so that I can shop quality vs. price. I don't mind spending 3-4k but I want stainless steel and quality work. I'm not saying that Island is bad I just won't know until I can compare. Can someone recommend another company that compares to Island?

B

Bob Zolczer

Try Cramer's in RI

They made my dodger and console/wheel cover, which I've had for almost 5 years. I've been very satisfied. I don't know their number, but call Sailing Specialties in Mystic, CT. Cramer's did the dodger work for their new hunters. I got all stainless steel framing as well as leather rub/grab points for a very good price.

B

Barry Olsen

Island Nautical (again)

If you specify they will make your frame stainless for a price. In addition to beating the competition, they are fast! They have the patterns on file. They send you sunbrella samples. Pick your color and it's in your hand in 4 weeks. Very few custom shops have prompt delivery. The down side - you install it on your boat yourself. Their instructions are great. They use heavy gauge aluminum unless you ask for SS and it worked great on the lake during the last 6 years. My h34 dodger was $700, zip on awning was $175.(show price) You pay $$ for a custom shop to make several fitting trips to your vessel. I went with Island because after all - IT'S only a Hunter! Barry

Phil Herring

Alien
Mar 25, 1997
- - Bainbridge Island
Have to agree

I think their prices are good not because of lesser materials, but due to the patterns they have on file. they can make canvas for many boats with a very efficient process. It may not suit your needs as well as a custom job, but it's bound to cost less.

S

Stephen Ostrander

canvas

You want to watch for quality of construction and materials. Sunbrella only makes one grade of fabric, but make sure that the window plastic is high grade and the seams are sewn well. Stainless bows costs more $$, and so do grabrails. I got a qoute of $1500 for just a dodger for my 33.5 last year from a custom shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.