Full cockpit enclosure - leaking through traveler control lines

Jun 18, 2013
Hunter 44DS East Greenwich, RI
We recently installed a full enclosure and loving it. Only problem we have is when it rains, water drips down from the traveler through the control line openings. Does anyone have a novel solution to mitigate this (2004 44ds)?

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
The lady that made ours (a true talent) made little covers that snap over them. Works well! i will see if I can find a picture. I found a picture and here it is. If you look close you can see them especially on the port side.

Attachments

Last edited:
Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
My backstay goes through my bimini. The shop that made it basicallly made a 3" fabric tube for the backstay in the middle of the bimini. At the end of this "tube" is a a couple of lines to tie the opening shut to keep rain out. Do you have a pic you could post?

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The lady that made ours (a true talent) made little covers that snap over them. Works well! i will see if I can find a picture. I found a picture and here it is. If you look close you can see them especially on the port side.
We have the covers also and they stop a good deal of the water dripping but I still see a bit from where the arch tubing passes through the side curtains.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 410 Punta Gorda
I love ours and thankful it keeps the rain out when cruising. don't think you can make a water tight cockpit on a sailboat. If you want water tight go to the dark side. :)

Nodak7

Sep 28, 2008
Hunter 41DS Punta Gorda, FL
I love ours and thankful it keeps the rain out when cruising. don't think you can make a water tight cockpit on a sailboat. If you want water tight go to the dark side. :)
LMAO.....!!!

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
We had canvas shop make same canvas covers and does keep most rain out.
Nick

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
I caulked a small circle around mine with clear silicone stopping short of the traveler. Stops most. Get a small tube of clear silicone from Lowe’s and build it up gradually. Just make sure you don’t allow the silicone to stick tothe traveler line when you caulk it. Not that difficult if you are careful.

Oct 15, 2018
Hunter 32' Vision Quantico, Virginia
Does she still make them for the Hunter Vision?

Thanks,
Jason

Nov 1, 2009
Hunter 466 San Diego, CA
Velcro secured cover over the top of the traveler takes care of 99% of the rain.

Most of the time the cover is off, and we have covers for the 2" wide velcro on the bimini and transition to keep them from disintegrating in the sun.

Pic_ 16-Nov-20 962.jpg

Pic_ 16-Nov-20 963.jpg

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995 - 40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, NB, Canada
Velcro secured cover over the top of the traveler takes care of 99% of the rain.

Most of the time the cover is off, and we have covers for the 2" wide velcro on the bimini and transition to keep them from disintegrating in the sun.

View attachment 187300

View attachment 187301
Fortunately for us the traveller on our 1995-40.5 is ahead of the Dodger, our only area
of ingress is around each side of the split backstay. Solved by 99% by the maker with a Velcro closed collar for the stay and a draw string closer above that. Works well.

Sep 25, 2003
Beneteau Oceanis 48 Casco Bay, ME
I like the velco cover Follow You Follow me. My current enclosure mounts fore and aft the traveler. How did you attach the velcro strip to the canvas - stitched in?

Nov 1, 2009
Hunter 466 San Diego, CA
Stitched the canvas with 2" velcro strips all the way around. The traveller cover is usually left off and most velcro is not UV resistant so when the cover is off, we have 2" wide canvas strips with velcro to cover the otherwise exposed velcro on the bimini and transition.