Full Batten Mainsail Conversion

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
So my Hunter 33.5 has a full batten dacron mainsail- I'm not a huge fan of all full battens and wondered whether the sail could be converted to some full batten and some shorter battens- I know ask my sailmaker but wondered whether anypne has done this successfully- Thanks

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
Removing the bottom two battens won’t prove anything. Without any battens there the roach will have no support. It will flap violently. It won’t sail well. The leech may even get damaged if you are out for long in enough wind to flog it hard.

“2 + 2” is a common batten configuration. A competent repair loft can convert the bottom two batten pockets to partial length.

Judy B

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2004
Removing the bottom two battens won’t prove anything. Without any battens there the roach will have no support. It will flap violently. It won’t sail well. The leech may even get damaged if you are out for long in enough wind to flog it hard.

“2 + 2” is a common batten configuration. A competent repair loft can convert the bottom two batten pockets to partial length.

Judy B
Thanks- I actually wasn't planning on removing the bottom two completely because of what you said about sail shape etc is true- I wanted to go to a 2 full 2 partial configuration- Just got a quote from sailmaker for a cost of about $200- I'm considering

Feb 27, 2004
What are the pros and cons in your opinion?
For me it's more of a convenience thing- the bottom two battens are very long and awkward (for me at least)- the sail always seems to get hung up in the track when dousing- my sailmaker says he can change the bottom two to partial battens for about $200 so I'm considering- Thanks