Full Batten Main Sail.

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
I replaced my 35 year old partial batten main sail with a new full batten this year.

No matter what trimming knowledge, tricks or just experimenting of rigging adjustment I try, I can't get the top of the sail to twist for me. I'm I missing something?

May 1, 2011
Pearson 37 Lusby MD
What point of sail? Have you tried easing the mainsheet? What's going on with the vang (if you have one)? Any photos of your setup?

Nov 4, 2018
What point of sail? Have you tried easing the mainsheet? What's going on with the vang (if you have one)? Any photos of your setup?
Any point of sail. Easing and tensioning the main sheet, easing and tensioning the vang, running the traveller high and low, using the the topping lift, adjusting the backstay, none of this seems to help me. I look up and I have an open twist (no twist).

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
I had a similar issue when I switched to full battened. What works for me is:
•Loosen the vang
•pull traveler up wind past centre
•ease up the main sheet to position the boom according to point of sail.

This will open up the top twist.

Nov 4, 2018
I had a similar issue when I switched to full battened. What works for me is:
•Loosen the vang
•pull traveler up wind past centre
•ease up the main sheet to position the boom according to point of sail.

This will open up the top twist.
My situation is I can not close the twist. I always have an open twist.

Nov 4, 2018
We need some photos, please.
I have no photos at this time.

Due to the stupidity of the captain, I'm currently sitting on the hard a waiting keel repairs. No one, given the high water of the Great Lakes at this time, can figure out how I managed to hit the rock that I did. With all hope, I shall be in the water again at the end of this week.

The next time sailing I will try to get get photos of what I'm speaking to.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No one, given the high water of the Great Lakes at this time, can figure out how I managed to hit the rock that I did.
Oh that’s easy mate. You were so busy trying to twist or untwist the sail that the rock leaped out in front of the boat. The crew member who was watch must have been sleeping.

Those keel eating rocks are very tricky. Count your self lucky. There was a picture posted earlier of their Maine cousin. It was eating a Danforth anchor. From the looks of it having a pretty good time.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Just to make sure we’re talking the same language - Twist is the difference in angle of attack between the top of the sail and the bottom. More twist means that the top of the Sail is at a lower angle of attack (more “twisted off”) than the bottom. Too much twist means the top of the Sail luffs first. Is that what you’re seeing? It is generally desirable to have at least a little twist, because the true wind speed is higher at the top of the mast. It’s only really a problem if it’s excessive. If it is make sure you can get the boom down and that it’s not being held up by the topping lift. Also make sure you have the main hoisted completely. Assuming both of those are true then you should be able to pull the boom down with either the vang or the sheet to reduce twist.

Are there any wrinkles in the sail that could indicate funny shape?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Do any of the baton pockets seem a little short? You may have batons jammed in the sleeve so tight they are acting like booms and when you tighten the sheet the roach stiffens up and pulls the batons in (no twist)

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
Don Guillete is the expert, him and JackDaw, we offer Don's knowledge here, and he does have a special spot on this Forum.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The top batten is too tight. It's trapping the curve in the sail, even though you're releasing sheet tension to open the leech. Drop the sail down and loosen the batten pocket's flap. You may have to trim the batten if it's too long. You should check the tension in all the battens. Remember the primary purpose of battens is to support the mainsail's roach. If you're going to use your battens to help performance and sail shape, then you need to study up on tension strategy... if not, set all your battens to a neutral position so you can flatten the sail easily.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Agree with others about tightness of battens in the pockets having an effect. One of our mains has full-length battens. They hold up a LONG time.

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Have you contacted the sail maker? They usually want photos so you may need to wait until you are back in the water, but sail makers generally offer very targeted advice.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
The tension of full length battens in their sleeves is adjustable, either with a screw mechanism or a lashing (or it should be). Even Hobie 14s had adjustable batten tension.

Nov 4, 2018
Oh that’s easy mate. You were so busy trying to twist or untwist the sail that the rock leaped out in front of the boat. The crew member who was watch must have been sleeping.

Those keel eating rocks are very tricky. Count your self lucky. There was a picture posted earlier of their Maine cousin. It was eating a Danforth anchor. From the looks of it having a pretty good time.
I'm the only crew member. And, yes, I was watching my sail trim more than I watch the depth meter (The car was low, beam reach, and the main sheet obscured the depth meter anyway.) Or for that matter, I was watching my chart plotter.

Last edited: