Fueling up engine for dinghy

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If we took all the effort spent in trying to find ethanol-free fuel and wrote our congress-critters to get rid of it and support Senator Feinstein's bill to do so, we'd all be a lot better off.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 410 N. Weymouth, MA
I've spent a whole boat load of money on rebuilding carbs for my Yamaha 8, even using Sta-bil marine. I'm not at all mechanically inclined so its always a trip to the repair shop. I found Grainger sells "small engine" fuel on line that is 100% ethanol free. its not cheap but compared to the cost of a carb rebuild it is. bout $20/gallon but i typically use less than a couple of gallons per year for the dingy. 5 gallons last all my small engines about 1 year with none of the ethanol related issues.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Go for it... tell us how it works out.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Filling your tank helps reduce water problems in the tank but does nothing for your carb. Draining your carb or running it dry is still best for your carb if it is going to sit for weeks on end. If the carb is cared for properly it will run gas with some water in it anyway. The addition of a good additive is what is helping the carb when it is not drained. I prefer to use additive AND drain carb if its going to be sitting for some time. Whatever works!
Chief, small engine certified
That is an interesting question. Is it better to run dry?

I think if you read the manuals you will find that the guidance is mixed, with most ONLY recommending running dry if the boat is to be unused for an extended storage period. The thing is, if the carb is mostly drained (running dry does not get them bone dry) it is certain that what is left will dry to gum. On the other hand if the carb is left as-is and the boat is used again within 2-3 weeks, the carb remains full and the gas does not turn to gum.

I have not drained a carb in years and I have many engines. But I have kept tanks full and used effective additives (not all of them are--Stabil was wholly and repeatedly ineffective against e-10 corrosion when compared to certain other products). I think many bad experiences are due to failures in keeping water out and tanks full, and using ineffective additives; there is a LOT of snake oil out there.

Not small engine certified (I do have 3 outboards on my current boat and have rebuilt dozens of carbs), but 30+ chemical engineer working in the petroleum and additive industry (nothing retail, only industrial products). I know a little about gasoline and e-10 chemistry based upon personal time in the lab.

I think Stabil has gotten by on advertising selling so-so product for many years. They got passed by much better products. Switch to Biobor EB and see if carb corrosion is not stopped dead.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Bshock.. this is a site that lists ethanol free stations.. looks like in your area, there is one or two in Lakeside Marbelhead :
http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=OH
I have a couple of options here and use it in all my small engines. For hurricane season, I generally store 15 gallons of ethanol free mixed with Seafoam and StaBil .. Great for the small stuff.. Chain saw, Honda generator, lawnmower, power yard tools.. Toward the end of the summer, I will start putting it into the car and replace it for the next season.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Thinwater: Do what you think works best for you. I said "whatever works". Read again carefully and it says sitting for some time, not drain it unduely. If its being used every week or two don't drain it, but if its going to be several weeks or more then drain the carb!
Just realize that MANY of us do not agree with your tank concept helping the carb. Evaporation?

Chief,IE