Fueling up engine for dinghy

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Beneteau 361 Sandusky Harbor Marina
Hi folks, I have a new-to-me 2004 model year Mercury 2-stroke 3.3 hp engine. I've changed the lower unit gear oil and am ready to see if it'll fire up. I understand that one would ideally stay away from gasoline with ethanol.

How do you know if a particular gas station has ethanol in their gasoline? Is it marked on the pump?

Thanks for any help! :)

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
Yup, marked on pumps. Or marinas sell it but gas station ethanol free is cheaper.

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
In Canada, Shell sells their Gold grade without any alcohol. Check it State-side.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Puget Sound - Semiahmoo Marina, Blaine has ethanol-free gas

For those in Puget Sound there are several marinas selling ethanol-free gas and one of them is Semiahmoo Marina in Blaine.

Just read yesterday that ethanol laden gas will cause pitting of aluminum items in your engine, including the aluminum block.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Great engine; I went and got one after they stopped the manufacture of small 2 stroke engines. I like its power and the fact that it weighs under 20 lbs allowing me to easily carry it with just one hand. Ethanol free gasoline works better but it is still not free of gumming problems. The best solution I have encountered is to keep fresh gas in it and run the engine frequently. It is so small and light that you can fire it up in a bucket of water.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Finding ethanol free gasoline in Massachusetts if virtually impossible. And from my experience, even "ethanol free" gasoline has up to 5% ethanol. The 10% ethanol has up to 20% ethanol in the winter and 15% in the summer. Some of the issue is transportation. They use the same trucks to deliver both and they don't clean the trucks very often. As the ethanol phase separates it gets left in the bottom of the truck and mixed in with the next load. I know this because I am an environmental consultant working for one of the major oil companies and we have to help them with these problems often.

I just always add an ethanol treatment to my gasoline for marine engines. I like the Sta-Bil Marine ethanol treatment. I have a 5-gallon jerry can that I fill the dingy gas can from, I treat that when I fill it up.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
For those in Puget Sound there are several marinas selling ethanol-free gas and one of them is Semiahmoo Marina in Blaine. Just read yesterday that ethanol laden gas will cause pitting of aluminum items in your engine, including the aluminum block.
Cap Sante in Anacortes has it

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
There is also a website that lists all stations in all states. Do some googling and you should find it.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Penny: what fuel is recommended for the motor to run on is not the issue. Alcohol added to gas causes carb jet blockage and general deteriation when left sitting for weeks/months. Chief

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Benny, it's nice to hear such a good recommendation on the engine. :)

JK Boston, good tip on the ethanol treatment in the gas can. I hadn't thought of that!

Thanks so much, all! :)

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
1. E-10 is marked by law. You never noticed what went in your car?

2. E-10 is fine, if...
a. Fill the tank when finished (not before going out--you want to leave it full).
b. Close the cap when not running (no vent = no breathing = no water). Close the fuel valve too or the pressure will push the gas through the carb.
c. Use an anti-corrosion additive. Seafoam, Biobor EB, and Merc have been independently tested for this, others not as effective.

Ethanol only causes those problems if it gets water in it, and the additive will eliminate most of the damage if it does. I've been running a Merc 3.5 like this for 10 years. A lot of unwarranted paranoia when all that is required is due care.

And even if you decide to go ethanol-free, the above is still best practice.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
1. E-10 is marked by law. You never noticed what went in your car?

2. E-10 is fine, if...
a. Fill the tank when finished (not before going out--you want to leave it full).
b. Close the cap when not running (no vent = no breathing = no water). Close the fuel valve too or the pressure will push the gas through the carb.
c. Use an anti-corrosion additive. Seafoam, Biobor EB, and Merc have been independently tested for this, others not as effective.

Ethanol only causes those problems if it gets water in it, and the additive will eliminate most of the damage if it does. I've been running a Merc 3.5 like this for 10 years. A lot of unwarranted paranoia when all that is required is due care.

And even if you decide to go ethanol-free, the above is still best practice.
---

And yes, I had all of those problems in the past, until I learned the solutions.

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Filling your tank helps reduce water problems in the tank but does nothing for your carb. Draining your carb or running it dry is still best for your carb if it is going to sit for weeks on end. If the carb is cared for properly it will run gas with some water in it anyway. The addition of a good additive is what is helping the carb when it is not drained. I prefer to use additive AND drain carb if its going to be sitting for some time. Whatever works!
Chief, small engine certified

bshock

Jan 18, 2013
Thanks for the tips, Thinwater. Yes, I had seen E85 stickers on gas pumps, but wasn't sure if that was mandatory for the gas stations to post.

As far as draining the carb, is it as easy as simply shutting off the fuel supply while the engine is running and letting the engine stop running when the fuel is gone?

also, my last outboard was a 4-stroke, with a specific way to lay the engine down for transport. On this 2-stroke, the manual isn't clear. Can I lay it down either way (tiller arm up or tiller arm down)?

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Thanks for the tips, Thinwater. Yes, I had seen E85 stickers on gas pumps, but wasn't sure if that was mandatory for the gas stations to post.

As far as draining the carb, is it as easy as simply shutting off the fuel supply while the engine is running and letting the engine stop running when the fuel is gone?
Yes. I have an external tank and I just disconnect the fuel line and let it run. It's kind of funny how long it can go before stalling out.

also, my last outboard was a 4-stroke, with a specific way to lay the engine down for transport. On this 2-stroke, the manual isn't clear. Can I lay it down either way (tiller arm up or tiller arm down)?
Not an issue with 2-strokes. There is not crankcase when the gasoline can train to and contaminate the oil.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
Ethanol free gas is impossible to find now. I had to get mine at a small airport. AV LL1000 (aviation low lead). There are a lot of side benefits to the gas besides the low lead.

(From a previous postZ)
I just bought some from Whiteman Airport in San Fernando, CA. It is self service but you have to have a regestration number to buy it. I met a guy in the bar at the airport and he bought it for me. There was a sign Authorized Personnel only but we just walked through the gate. I used my card and he punched in his ID code. Gas was $6/gal. He explained that it has an additive to prevent freezing, a color dye so you can see leaks. He also pointed out that it makes a good solvent because it doesn't have a gasoline smell to it.
Tried it out yesterday and the motor seemed to run a little better. He told me that he runs it in his older Mustang. You cannot run it in a car with a catalytic converter.

Apr 2, 2011
Catalina 27 Niceville, FL
I bought the same engine for the same reasons. When you close the fuel valve and run it until it dies, you have gotten most, but not all the fuel out of the float bowl. There is a drain screw on the bottom of the engine that will drain the float bowl. You don't have to remove the cowling to get to it. I always drain mine if I don't plan to use the engine for a few days. Takes about 30 seconds to do.