Fuel valve location

Jan 23, 2021
beneteau 323 Corpus Christi marina
New to me, Beneteau 323. Wanted to change fuel filter, but didn’t find the fuel valve. Didn’t see it near the filter nor ”upstream“ from the filter. It must be somewhere, right? - else how do you replace fuel filter without making stinky mess?

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Not so quick... Somewhere around 2005/6 they changed the engine model. Doug has an (18?) hp. my 2006 has a 3ym30, 20 hp. They are bound to be different all around. I don't believe the Y has a fuel sutoff on the engine, maybe not even the tank? Didn't you get the manuals with the boat? Do you have the filter up around the valve cover- IIRC on the port aft of the engine. A 110 filter?

Jan 23, 2021
Ron, good questions. I’m 100 miles from boat. Boat built in 2004, engine is 2gm20f.
Manual is on boat but I didn’t find reference to fuel valve or it’s location. The fuel filter/water-separator is aft port, a little high.
With valve, can close fuel and run engone to empty fuel line. How do you do it without a valve?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
On my 343, the valve is on top of the fuel tank. There is a pull type handle and steel cable, that is located near the battery "on/off" switches in the rear berth, that controls the valve.

Jan 23, 2021
I could use pull handle at cockpit and find where that cable leads...
Thanks BigEasy (from N.O.?)

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Ron, good questions. I’m 100 miles from boat. Boat built in 2004, engine is 2gm20f.
Manual is on boat but I didn’t find reference to fuel valve or it’s location. The fuel filter/water-separator is aft port, a little high.
With valve, can close fuel and run engone to empty fuel line. How do you do it without a valve?
With that engine model known, maybe Doug or someone else can help you. Obviously, the model, year, and engine can all render the boats with different equipment. 100 miles from the boat, you should have duplicate copies of the manuals. I have then and I have dups for both- and my boat is only a couple hundre yards away for easy access !

I have that cable like post 6 but I believe it is labled as a kill swicth?

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks BigEasy (from N.O.?)
Northeast of N.O.
I chartered a Ben 331 many times. Seem to recall that it had a manual pull handle in cockpit to shutdown engine; however, it also had a pull handle near battery switches in rear berth. Mine has a shutdown button in the Yanmar cockpit panel and a shutoff pull handle in the berth.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Are we looking for a shutdown switch or a valve to turn off fuel so we can change fuel filters?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Are we looking for a shutdown switch or a valve to turn off fuel so we can change fuel filters?
:plus:

I think they’re two different things, and the OP is asking about the supply valve before the filters, which is probably a boat builder decision, not engine manufacturer issue.

On the 37 there’s a valve right on the tank where the pickup tube comes out.

Feb 21, 2010
Beneteau 31 016 St-Lawrence river
On the 37 there’s a valve right on the tank where the pickup tube comes out
Same on the 31... there is a round hole under the aft cabin mattress to reach the shutoff valve. Works well when changing the primary filter.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Not so quick... Somewhere around 2005/6 they changed the engine model. Doug has an (18?) hp. my 2006 has a 3ym30, 20 hp. They are bound to be different all around. I don't believe the Y has a fuel sutoff on the engine, maybe not even the tank? Didn't you get the manuals with the boat? Do you have the filter up around the valve cover- IIRC on the port aft of the engine. A 110 filter?
I have a 2004 B323. It has the Yanmar 2GM20F as Ron pointed out There are 2 fuel shutoff point that are controlled by T-handles. One is on the engine instrument panel in the cockpit, The second is beside the battery switches in the entryway to the aft cabin...
I don’t recall a shutoff provision ahead of the Racor filter located on the port engine compartment side panel, and I know there is not a shutoff on the in line fuel filter located on the front of the engine. Changing both filters, I have not had an occasion where I have had any significant amount of fuel drippage. There is more of a chance of fuel leaking when you open the bleed screw on the engine after changing the filters.

Jan 23, 2021
Looking for the latter. I’ll check again when I get to the boat later this week. (The skipper that was doing delivery experienced engine trouble, which is why he stopped short. He texted me last night saying he now suspects the fuel pump. So I might try to find diesel mechanic to meet there.)

Jan 23, 2021
So far, can’t find diesel mechanic. The two marine diesel places recommended don’t work on Yanmars.
(Is there a problem with Yanmars? I thought they were common and ok.)

Jan 23, 2021
Don’t have electrical (yet). I spoke with seemingly knowledgeable diesel mechanic. He isn’t willing to travel to boat, but really thinks it’s a filter problem rather than pump problem. Even though fuel seen through glass at bottom of first filter looks good, I think he is right.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Looking for the latter. I’ll check again when I get to the boat later this week. (The skipper that was doing delivery experienced engine trouble, which is why he stopped short. He texted me last night saying he now suspects the fuel pump. So I might try to find diesel mechanic to meet there.)
On that 331 that I chartered, the previous charterer pulled the fuel shutoff / stop handle in the aft berth, by the battery switches and I didn't notice that the handle remained pulled out in the shutoff position. We motor sailed from Pensacola, FL to Orange Beach, AL and halfway back, the following day, the engine started sputtering and eventually stopped (approximately 6 hours later)! I had been told by the charter company on an earlier date that the shutoff valve didn't work so not to worry. Apparently it did work; however, it took 6 hours of run time before the engine stopped. After pushing the handle back in (run position), the engine picked up the fuel prime and ran fine thereafter. So, Fullbore, make sure that you locate that additional handle and ensure that it is pushed in.

Jan 23, 2021
I’ve learned (or heard/read) that which, if any, fuel shut off valve selection and location is at the discretion of the builder at the time... Not sure if this is true at Beneteau in 2004, but could explain omission of that info in the manual.

Jan 23, 2021
fuel shutoff / stop handle in the aft berth, by the battery switches...
make sure that you locate that additional handle and ensure that it is pushed in.
Thanks much BigEast, I looked there and found it! Got fuel filters changed.