Fuel Tank

Status
Not open for further replies.

goblin

Sep 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Pottsboro Tx
2000 Catalina 310, Hull #18 has only 216 hours on the engine. I'm going through 10 micron secondary filters like mad. There's nothing in the bowl on the 30 micron primary Racor filter so I assume I've got a gunk problem in the fuel tank. I'd prefer not to remove the tank and I know I can empty it 90% with the fuel pump. Does anyone have a practical idea regarding how to completely drain, inspect & clean the tank in place ??

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 310 Scott Creek, VA
clean tank in place

When my fuel sender craped out, I pretty much did what you are asking, at least best I could figure with the tank in place. Don't add fuel for months before the procedure. Agitate the boat (a good early morning sail works best for this part), then go in to the dock. Remove the sender and pump out most of the fuel. Then suck out remaining fuel using a flexible hose taped to a small piece of copper pipe so you can bend it into the low corner (always port side on my boat). Once the tank is mostly dry you can sort of swab the bottom of the tank with rags attached to the copper pipe. Not perfect, but it got the worst of the crap in my '03 tank. Only way to do better would probably be to make a bigger hole in the top if the tank so you can reach inside.

goblin

Sep 4, 2006
Catalina 310 Pottsboro Tx
Sounds easy enough. Thanks.
The main reason I didn't want to consider removing the tank is that the port rear bulkhead has a fairly heavy window air conditioner in it. Lazy I guess.
Thanks again !!

When my fuel sender craped out, I pretty much did what you are asking, at least best I could figure with the tank in place. Don't add fuel for months before the procedure. Agitate the boat (a good early morning sail works best for this part), then go in to the dock. Remove the sender and pump out most of the fuel. Then suck out remaining fuel using a flexible hose taped to a small piece of copper pipe so you can bend it into the low corner (always port side on my boat). Once the tank is mostly dry you can sort of swab the bottom of the tank with rags attached to the copper pipe. Not perfect, but it got the worst of the crap in my '03 tank. Only way to do better would probably be to make a bigger hole in the top if the tank so you can reach inside.

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Interesting

The main reason I didn't want to consider removing the tank is that the port rear bulkhead has a fairly heavy window air conditioner in it.
Ancient Mariner, Can you elaborate on the above? Did you add A/C to you boat in a different manner? Pictures would be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.