Fuel tank sending unit

Oct 15, 2022
ODay 28 Friendfield Marina, Georgetown
Thanks for the advice on my leaking thru hull. All repairs made by the boatyard. Now I am moving on to the fuel sending unit. I have a 1983 ODay 28 with all the original equipment to let me know how much fuel is in the tank. Has anybody replaced the sending unit with one that dropped in and fit the original holes on the top of the tank. I will also be running new wire to a new gauge. Thanks in advance! Also I have some original paperwork, a barometer/clock(inop), a wind display and a depth display that came with the boat. Let me know if you are interested.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Fuel problems are a frequent issues on the forum. Here is a recent discussion of fuel sensor solutions.

Your boat uses a similar sensor.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
OEM equipment on that era 28 was just a float with a built-in gauge mounted directly onto the top of the tank, no electronic sender. We had to replace our tank but reused the original gauge, so I’m not sure what replacement options exist.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If the top mount of your sender looks like a ring with about 5 fasteners then it is probably the standard fuel gauge mounting and a replacement sender unit will match the original. Be aware that the fasteners are not equally spaced and the sender plate will only fit oriented one way and cannot be rotated. Some senders are made to a certain depth so watch for that. Your existing fuel gauge (if present) is probably made to the fuel gauge standard (240 - 33 Ohms) and will work with your new sender.

Oct 15, 2022
ODay 28 Friendfield Marina, Georgetown
Thanks for the help. Tight quarters so I didn't want to struggle with the install. I will spend the money on a sender upgrade and move to the pedestal style unit.