Fuel Tank Sending Unit Replacement

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
I want to replace my faulty Universal Sending Unit with a WEMA unit. However, I noticed that the space between the the top of the tank and the underside of the deck above is only about 140 mm. The tank is about 280 mm deep and therefore probably needs a 25 mm unit. This would require inserting the latter at an angle, before settling it in vertically.
Is the hole large enough for the new unit to be slid in this way ( and the old one to be taken out)? Has anyone done this job? Any advice would be appreciated.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
I've taken the old one out (OEM unit) and put it back in when I was removing water and nasty crap from the bottom of the tank. It seems the PO didn't believe in Biobor.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We replaced our el cheapo stock sender with the Moeller mechanical sender with the electronic conversion capsule as recommended by Maine Sail. Didn't fix our problem but now we can look at it directly. No issue with room.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
When I had the WEMA sender installed in my new tank, I did not allow quite enough room under the panel above and had to relieve the underside of the panel by about a half inch.
I wonder if that might work for you?

LB