Fuel Tank Replacement

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff Dunham

Conducting normal maintenance checks on my 1981 H 30, I discovered the plywood deck that the fuel tank rest on was soaked with diesel. Since the tank is full, i visually checked for tank leaks and hose leaks but found none. I dried out the bilge and found no accumulation of diesel over a 7 day period. I am going to empty and then pull the tank to replace the piece of plywood. Will also look for a split in the filler or overflow hoses or tank hole. I am looking for any suggestions on how to strap the fuel tank back in place. It appears that banding material was the origional Hunter factory choice. Any other suggestions/experience? Thanks Jeff

R

Roy Mosteller

Metal Tie Down Tank Straps

Recently replaced holding tank on my 30T (1991) and struggled with your same problem. I used a pair of 2" metal tie down straps designed to anchor water heater against a wall (a building requirement in my area of California). They hold the tank very securely and are not difficult to install. Straps cost $11/pair plus $18 for four SS Footman's Loops to anchor to deck. I have photographs if they would help.

P

Peggie Hall/Head Mistress

A word of caution about tie down straps

And I don't know whether it applies here or not...but it's definitely important enough to mention. It doesn't matter what you use on a plastic tank. But using stainless straps on an aluminum tank is gonna create galvanic corrosion unless you "insulate" the two disparate metals from each other. It's one thing to use them on an enameled water tank...the enamel is a barrier coat between the strap the water tank. There's no problem if both the straps and the tank are aluminum. But if the straps are steel--stainless or otherwise--put a felt or rubber strip between the straps and an aluminum fuel tank...or you're gonna be looking for a new fuel tank in a couple of years. An alternative strapping is plastic lawn chair webbing. Very strong...doesn't rot...and no problems using it on any tank material.

Status
Not open for further replies.