Fuel tank replacement

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
I’ve purchased a new fuel tank for my 1979 Cat 30. What is the best way to remove the old one. I see the screws holding it down but also someone has glassed it in around the edges. Not sure if this was from the factory or not. Is it okay to cut this out while in the water. I assume it would be. Also will it come out using the access area. My Cat has lots of cupboards around this area. I’ll be running new fuel lines also. Someone had added a second tank, about 5 gallons to the left of the original. There’s access there to small tank and original tanks to the right. Guess they had a problem at one time. Plus they have 2 fuel shut offs now below the steps. Fuel lines running everywhere. Quite a mess i think. I’ll try and grab some pics today to post.

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I replaced my tank with one I ordered from Catalina Yachts (they sent the original specs to their supplier for my hull). It had two tabs on each side that had 2 screws each holding it to the plywood board that was tabbed to the hull. If you have tabbing on the metal tank my guess is a previous owner did it.

I installed and removed the tank thru the opening in the quarter berth fairly easily. Replaced all the hoses and including the filler hose and vent tube that runs to the transom.

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Awesome pictures. Thank you. I was thinking of doing the same for mounting new tank. How come your area around tank is so clean looking. Should see this one we have. God, so many wires, hoses, pipes running every which where. Got to sort it all out one day. So many different mods over the years I guess. Something quit, run new wires, leave old ones in etc.