Fuel Tank Replacement...Air?

Oct 30, 2019
Last question, I promise...where is the decompression lever and what does it look like? Okay, technically that was two questions. Since I already overshot my goal, one more question. Is it safe to assume that I can perform the bleeding with the decompression lever and fly wheel while she is on dry dock?

Thanks,
Jack

Oct 31, 2019
Not really; you can start the engine while on the dry. But I wouldn't start the engine if you don't have a gearbox- like in the original variable pitch prop. The bush from the stern bearing should be wet.
If you have a gearbox (prop im neutral), undo the water hose, get a larger one that fits the outside of the hose, get a bail of water... and you can start (though you must have the mufflerbox or whatever you have between the engine and the exhaust- or maybe you have the boat tilted the exhaust much deeper than the engine's elbow). Good luck.
Wilhelm, V-257

Oct 31, 2019
The decompression lever should be installed (you can stop the engine with it, or start with the crank- at least it's a lot easier) The lever should be near the injection pump- I have another diesel engine (a Yanmar), so I can't tell, I bet Stever will know.
About starting on the dry, I wrote in the other reply.
Wilhelm, V-257

Oct 31, 2019
There are usually 2 ways to stop a diesel. The first you shut of the diesel (lever), the other one you open the decompression lever (both should have some sort of connection (most of the time a wire) to the outside where you pull to stop the engine
Wilhelm, V-257

Oct 2, 2005
Jack, Put your hand on top of the engine at the injectors and slide it back toward the stern. You will feel the decompression lever lying down on top of the engine. It is easier to feel than see, because of the clearance there. Lever down and the engine runs, lever up and she is decompressed, and the flywheel spins easily, well kind of.
These engines will start without the battery by decompressing, cranking the flywheel and getting up momentum, and then dropping the "D" lever. The previous owner preformed this miracle for me. I have tried numerous times to duplicate the feat but have always failed. Suggestions would be welcome. Perhaps I'm missing some step.
Craig

Oct 30, 2019
Steve,
The only ones I know about have copies in the Yahoo Files Section in a folder called "Vega Lines".
This probably doesn't help, but ....
Peter
#1331 'Sin Tacha'

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
The decompression lever on my MD6a is cylindrical maybe 2-4mm in
diameter and maybe 5-10 cm long.
(Like the stick for a lollipop!)

When engine is running (compression is "on") it lies horizontally
athwart the top of the engine with the pivot to port.

To decompress the engine you raise the lever to a vertical position.

John

V1447 Breakaway

vegatern wrote:

Oct 30, 2019
Ahhh! I was having some kind of brain cramp. Thanks for the explanation re: the lever. I know exactly what it is. I didn't know it made the fly wheel easier to turn. I wish I had. One day last summer I was out with low batteries. They had some juice, but not enough to turn over the engine. I put the handle in the fly wheel, reached out the companionway, turned the ignition key, and started cranking on the handle. There was enough juice and the engine caught.

Some of you reading this are thinking, potentially bad idea. If the engine starts, the handle could get stuck on the fly wheel and break one's arm. Although desperate times called for desperate measures, the next time I'm going to raise the decompression lever and get the fly wheel turning before lowering it and turning the key.

Thanks to everyone! I'll be bleeding air next weekend! You all totally rock!

Jack
V2620
Bella

Oct 31, 2019
lifting the decompression lever does exactly what it says: it decompresses the cylinders- the injected diesel can't burn, but the flywheel will turn over easy.
Once you push down the decompression lever, the injected diesel will burn and the engine runs.
I use it quite often to stop the engine instead of cutting off the diesel's fuel suply- though it doesn't matter which way. You can't stop a diesel motor like an otto motor, where you disconnect the electricity. Diesel engines don't have spark plugs. (though some have 'glow' plugs to facilitate starting.
Wilhelm, V-257

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Hi Wilhelm,

do you have a pull-cord attached to the decompression lever?

I have often thought of fitting one with a turning block so that the
pull could be in the forward direction - ie pulling the cord forward
would pull the lever down to a horizontal position - causing compression
when hand-starting the engine.

Reaching in over the spinning flywheel (and near the spinning alternator
cooling fan) is not something that I like to do.

Much easier to shut down your engine using the T-shaped "stop lever"?

John

V1447 Breakaway

WL wrote:

Oct 31, 2019
Hi John;
yes I do- so far I had no need to hand crank the engine (I did it once, but only to know I could do it in an emergency), but I stop the engine with the pull wire (it comes out outside where all the switches are- I'm using a wire assembly from a car part store that was [long time ago] being used for the carburator joke, costs about $5.00 or less), it has a nice handle at the end for pulling.
Wilhelm, V-257

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Thanks Wilhelm,
is that "pull wire " not the same as the T-shaped "stop lever" that is
(I think) standard?
Mine is on the starboard side of the bulkhead below the "bridge deck" -
where the switches are.

My question/suggestion was about having a wire run from the end of the
decompression lever from port to starboard and then via a turning block
forward to a pull handle.

This would be an "engine start" rather than "engine stop" pull handle...
And would make it safer to start the engine by hand.

(Of course I have not installed this yet - I will wait until it is too
late!)

John

V1447 Breakaway

WL wrote:

Oct 31, 2019
Hi John;
I can't answer about the pull knobs- I put in everything myself, hence I wouldn't know how your wires run.
The decompression pull wire (I don't think you need a turning block- the wire I have is in a sleeve, like a bycicle brake wire) is also very usefull when the battery is low, just pull on the knob and let go when the rotation is enough to start the engine.
I'm in Florida, and it looks like the weather is getting better. We had a chilly December, January, and February. Now it looks like sailing season starts again. I can't wait.
Wilhelm-V 257

Oct 2, 2005
John, I liked your idea. This evening I installed a small block about midway down the engine "room" wall and ran a cord from the lever, long enough to loop over my heel. Using both hands I was able to get the flywheel spinning well, sat back on my heel, and she started up on the second try. This was a first for me. Very, very cool. Thanks. I had images of being caught up in the fan belt which had kept me from being aggressive enough.
Craig

mnhdl

Oct 31, 2019
HI Craig,

could you post a picture of that set up?

thank you!

Marie
To: AlbinVega@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2009 04:41:51 +0000
Subject: [AlbinVega] Re: Bleeding the Volvo MD6/7John, I liked your idea. This evening I installed a small block about midway down the engine "room" wall and ran a cord from the lever, long enough to loop over my heel. Using both hands I was able to get the flywheel spinning well, sat back on my heel, and she started up on the second try. This was a first for me. Very, very cool. Thanks. I had images of being caught up in the fan belt which had kept me from being aggressive enough.
Craig

Oct 19, 2019
Albin Vega 27 Limerick
Hi Craig
that's great - I'm really pleased that it worked.

That motivates me to install it myself.!

Like most mathematicians I am much more inclined to "conceptualize" than
to implement.

For Marie: if Craig has done what I imagine, it is just a line running
from port to starboard tied to the decompression lever then though a
small turning block secured to the inner starboard side of the engine
enclosure then forward under the alternator.

You pull it with your third hand (or foot) when you have the decompressed
flywheel rotating fast enough...

Craig: did you bother to turn the engine start key to "on"? (red light on)All the best

John

V 1447 Breakaway
John A. Kinsella Ph: +353-61-202148 (Direct)
+353-61-333644 x 2148 (Switch)
Mathematics Dept. e-mail: John.Kinsella@...
University of Limerick FAX: +353-61-334927
IRELAND Web: John Kinsella's Website

Oct 2, 2005
Yes, I had the key turned to "on", and you described it well. The block is just screwed to the wall, even with the lever, but lower so it pulls the lever down. I taped a bit of wire, about an inch long, to the lever and bent it up so a small loop at the end of the line would not slip down the lever. When I pulled the line the lever dropped and the line pulled back the block. Very simple.
Craig Tern #1519