Fuel tank removal

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Last year I replaced my tank. Forum fuel tank replacing expert SailingCal21 convinced me to cut out a section of the sidewall in the quarter berth. This facilitated removal of the tank intact and greatly increased accessibility to clean up and prepare and install the new tank. I finally got around to replacing the cut out panel so here's a shot. I used a plywood backing board and an oak strip in front for esthetics. Now I can remove it any time for easy access to motor or fuel system or steering cables.

Attachments

Oct 7, 2008
Oday Oday 35 Chesapeake Bay
Looks good. Now you have me reconsidering my cutting the tank in place method.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Looks good. Now you have me reconsidering my cutting the tank in place method.
that piece is just very thin fiberglass. It is not a sandwich with a core and is non structural. Tap around it and you'll see it flexes with insignificant pressure. I had the idea after I already attached the oak strip that a piano hinge and a hook would be nice to open it up with no wrenches. Just like the panel on the bottom that swings down that panel could swing up. I used an oscillating tool to cut it out, it is so thin the tool went through like butter , took at most two minutes to cut it. Thank SailingCal21 for this idea, he is like the king of fuel tank removers.

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
Thanks and you're way ahead of me. I've yet to replace the cut out piece. It's pretty much not visible and easy to ignore. I'm inspired and will take care of it this winter. :)

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
Were your tanks both leaking?

We have the original aluminum tank in our 34 - so far so good - not looking forward to that project when it's time!

May 30, 2006
Oday 34 Chesapeake Bay
We have the original aluminum tank in our 34 - so far so good - not looking forward to that project when it's time!
Check to see if the leading edge of your tank mount is wet or damp. To check you'll have to remove the batteries. On Karma there was a chronic leak where the pedestal guard bolted to the cockpit sole which kept the plywood on the forward edge of the tank mount wet, which led to corrosion of the aluminum in that area and resulted in pin holes.