Fuel tank issues

Aug 3, 2023
catalina 34 Deep Bay
Hello all,
I have. 1990 Catalina 34 that stalled on me recently just outside Deep Bay. I have changed the fuel filters and pump and had issues with priming the pump. I disconnected the supply hose at the filter end but couldn’t get any flow. The tank was down about 2 1/2 gallons at this point. I then started to add more fuel after I had added 10 litres I started to get flow. Does anybody know why this might be. My tank is full.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I disconnected the supply hose at the filter end but couldn’t get any flow.
one likely cause of that would be a clogged pick-up tube screen in the tank. If you haven’t already cleaned it, it’s probably a good place to start.

chp

Sep 13, 2010
Hunter 280 hamilton
Might be that your fuel pickup is short. Found mine I think was cut down and sits about an inch and half from the bottom of the tank. Its a fairly flat tank so same as yours at about 2-3 gallons it start sucking air.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
An earlier poster located a pinhole on pickup tube a few inches below the upper end. As long as the fuel is above this pinhole it worked ok, but not when the fuel fell below the pinhole.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Might be that your fuel pickup is short. Found mine I think was cut down and sits about an inch and half from the bottom of the tank.
This is not an anomaly