Fuel Tank Contents Gauge

Oct 14, 2014
Having overfilled my keel based fuel tank last season, I would like to fit a contents gauge - has anyone here done this? How did you fix the sender to the plastic tank? I have identified a potential transmitter unit but am reluctant to male a hole in the tank! Any suggestions from the more experienced would be very welcome.Thank you.Nigel. 1840

Oct 15, 2015
I know this is not what your asking but many boats have been retro-fitted with fuel tanks in the lazerette because of fuel contamination problems and other difficulties with the bilge tank. Its not a difficult project and has many benefits. Cheers

May 30, 2006
I did this. Due to being old, I forget the details at the moment, but I didn't have to cut a hole.
Anyway, putting any hole in that tank if its still in the keel is asking for water in the fuel I think.

I was able to do it working with the metal plate that is already there.

Its a deal with an arm and float that sticks out kind of horizontally. The arm is attached to a variable resistor I believe. The standard automotive fuel gauge just reads the resistance.

Oh... and on the over filling thing...
If you have an old filler hose, it may have pin hole leaks. And if your tank is in the keel, that's a long long run. And if you fill the thing all the way til you see the fuel at the fuel cap.... lol. (ask me how I know.)
groundhog

May 30, 2006
... some of the fog is clearing....
Getting that cover plate out is not fun, as it's half under the floor?
Then, when you get it out and mount the fuel level sensor I am thinking of, it will be difficult to get it back in. Maybe if you get both parts back into the tank not totally attached, first the sender/sensor, then the plate, then tighten the bolts holding them together?

I moved my tank to the port lazarette as Tim mentioned. I like it better, and I have a proper auto bilge pump in there now.

gh

Oct 14, 2014
Hi Tim and Groundhog, Thank you for your replies and thoughts. I agree that a new fuel tank in a cockpit locker is probably the right thing to do -this will be a project for next winter. meanwhile, I'll just have to try not to do it again!Best regards for the coming season.Nigel.