fuel tank construction?

Jun 18, 2006
hunter Cherubini Hunter 37 cutter Cocoa Beach
I have the floor up on Tia Maria and the fuel tank "lids" are steel plate with maany bolts round the perimeter. Does anyone know what the rest of the tank construction is? has anyone replaced these lids? I could not imagine replacing with steel as drilling that many holes through heavy plate wuold take eons! any suggestions? Mine are scaling rust off at a fast rate. I was thinking heavy layup of epoxy/glass over plywwood.

Apr 13, 2005
Beneteau Oceanis 50 Mediterranean
Fuel tanks

Hi, my tank lids are off. The tank is integral with the hull: the top is steel plate, the rest is just the fiberglass of the hull. A $100 dollar or less grinder (not a R.O. sander) will make quick work of cleaning up the steel to paint. I don't really like the idea of having integral tanks, but am not excited about having custom tanks fabricated either.

Apr 7, 2006
Muskrat came w/ fabricated metal (aluminum) tanks set in where the old ones were- Trouble is we only have about 19 gallons of fuel total- but we burn just over 1/2 gph so it's not too restricting. Seems I read somewhere that on the bank fuel will seep down around the keel bolts to the outside, but with the weight of the keel working the "other way" when she's in the water they are tight. The name of the outfit that made the tanks is right on them so if any one is interested I'll get it.

Apr 13, 2005
Beneteau Oceanis 50 Mediterranean
fuel tank

Hi, that would be great if you could get the tank manufacturer info.
Thanks,
David

Apr 7, 2006
I certainly will- it might be a day or two since it going to rain and we're attempting to keep things dry- believe it or not there are still one or two varnish days left!

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That's the spirit Southport.

I was painting yesterday on the exterior of my house project(home) and could have been varnishing. In fact, I saw a sail off Rockport Harbor yesterday, it was a beautiful day.

Jun 18, 2006
hunter Cherubini Hunter 37 cutter Cocoa Beach
Gaskets for fuel tank??

Does any one know what the gasket material is for the fuel tank lids?
Thnx, Terry

Feb 1, 2006
Terry, go to your favorite auto parts store and buy the gasket material and adhesive that they sell for the fuel you're storing. Usually, the gasket material is available in several thicknesses and in large sheets; buy the thickest (to account for imperfections in the faying surfaces).

Try not to buy something which will rot (like the cork material unless they can promise that the resins that bind the cork granules will prevent rot spreading) or dissolve in or wick in water (some gasketing is basically cardboard).

You can double or triple gasket if you need more compliance. Cut the butt joints at an angle and fit them carefully, using the adhesive. I use the adhesive on only one of the surfaces so that I can imagine getting it apart again, leaving the gasket intact. Your tank lid should be well painted and the paint well cured.

You did not ask about the water tank lid gasket. Originally, mine was rubber. I reassembled the lid with ordinary house-type sticky-back foam tape (for thickness) and sealed the inside, waterside edge with 5200. The idea is that I could get a knife through the 1/8" or so gap of pretty soft stuff.

D

Apr 7, 2006
The company that built the aluminum tanks for Muskrat is

AAAA Tanks, Inc.
3723 NW 80 St
Miami, Fl 33147

tel 305-836-6780
fax 305-673-6015

I believe they were installed by Brewer's Boatyard in South Freeport, Me. The boat's name at that time was TARNA. If you give them that info they might be able to come up with a drawing. Or try John Brewer at the boat yard- he's the yard manager & very helpful- he might have a drawing. Their phone 207-865-3181. Good luck!