fuel tank construction?

Jun 18, 2006
hunter Cherubini Hunter 37 cutter Cocoa Beach
I have the floor up on Tia Maria and the fuel tank "lids" are steel plate with maany bolts round the perimeter. Does anyone know what the rest of the tank construction is? has anyone replaced these lids? I could not imagine replacing with steel as drilling that many holes through heavy plate wuold take eons! any suggestions? Mine are scaling rust off at a fast rate. I was thinking heavy layup of epoxy/glass over plywwood.

Feb 1, 2006
Check out the LeComte Owners Site. You'll find much discussion about the fuel and water tanks on the North East 38, and maybe the Medalist 33. Both boats, designed in the early 60s by Bill Tripp, have integral fuel and water tanks with steel bolts, but with fiberglass lids. You'll also find good discussion and pictures on Verena's website.

The issue is, beyond the work involved in the repair, is deciding whether all those bolts are there for structure across the width of the hull and over the hollow keel ( with a CB for you), or whether they simply make it possible for a complete seal. My PO had abandoned the bolts and screwed the lid down with large sheet metal screws; I left it that way when I resealed the gasket and notice no reason for regret.