Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Ball Check Valve

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
LP pump check valve prevents this.
Racor recommends installing the filter on the vacuum side of the transfer (LP) pump. So, when you open the filter housing, the LP pump check valve prevents nothing.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Can't follow this or is there a typo ?

Fighting a losing battle with our parrot here so maybe it's me
If you open the filter housing and the LP pump is upstream of the filter, as it should be, the LP pump can't prevent fuel flowing back to the tank from the filter.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
CHECK VALVE? I do not remember any check valve on my Racor 500 fuel filter. Then of course I did remember Stu's admonition... RTFM.

So today I opened the manual...

Damn... if Stu is not absolutely correct. Check out page 7, the exploded image of the fuel filter. Item #8 "Check Ball kit"

Ok... Learn something new every day.

Manual of this simple system also includes good info recommending how the unit should be installed in your boat.

Thanks Stu.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
If you open the filter housing and the LP pump is upstream of the filter, as it should be, the LP pump can't prevent fuel flowing back to the tank from the filter.
I guess what I overlooked here is that anyone would even think of opening a fuel filter without first closing the supply valve to the filter :yikes:. Regardless if the tank is above or below the filter. Safety 101.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Check out page 7, the exploded image of the fuel filter. Item #8 "Check Ball kit"
John, that may not be the one I referred to. If you look at page 2, you'll see the external one. Good catch, though, on your part, since the copy of the 500 manual I found didn't go past page 4.
Either way, that little ball can get clogged up, regardless of where it is.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
Maybe Ralph and I should share a post in the SailCallLounge, one day.

"How does a siphon work?"
@JamesG161 , I'm much more concerned with:

Why does your local 7-11 have locks on the front door when they're open 24/7/365 ?

Why do you park on a driveway and yet drive on a parkway ?

Why do they call them apartments when they're all jammed together ?

So many questions, so little time :(.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Why does your local 7-11 have locks on the front door when they're open 24/7/365 ?
Don't laugh , in Ft Myers, FL, a 24-hour establishment had the place broken into in some way. They had to close the place, but as noted, no locks on the front doors, so they had to hire a 24-hour guard.

Hongo

Aug 19, 2020
Freedom Cat Ketch 33 Huntington
Thank you most sincerely to each of you who have taken time to share your insights. Truly appreciated.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Thank you Stu for the great posting. Always good to have you aboard!