Fuel Priming Tip that Works

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Rob Sherrill

Recently I have had a lot of fuel problems which have caused many filter changes. I am sure that all of you are aware of the "pain" and time associate with re-prime of the engine system. My mechanic offered a great tip which I have incorporated and it takes only about 3 minutes to completely prime the engine, filters and racors and have it going. He suggested putting a bulb primer, like those used on outboards, inline with the fuel line just before it enters the racor. I have done this and with a couple of pumps the air can be expelled through out the entire system. Works well for me. If your having some difficulties with this I suggest you try it.

B

Bob McDowell

Primer bulb

I use the primer bulb but I don't leave it in line. I prime the system (very easy) and then remove the bulb.

S

Sean----Carnaby Street

Fuel System Purge

I've read your post over and over and like the idea. The question I have is, where do you expel the air? Since you said it does the entire system,it must be at the injecter after the pump. Is this correct? Sounds like a great idea and I am going to try it. Thanks, Sean

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Bleed points

Sean: Regardless of the type of pump you have, you need to open an end of the line to get the air out. So typically you would open one bleeder on the engine and remove all the air to that point then you could open the secondary filter on the engine and then try starting it up. Is that what you were asking?

S

SEAN

Bleed Points

Thanks for your post Steve. My system is a little different. I have a 12 hp Yanmar that has no secondary fuel filter and only one bleed point. I can usually bleed the system at this point and not have to do the injecter. his system will probably work fine and save a huge mess. What we need is a system similar to a brk bleeding system, where the fuel would go into a reservoir. Thanks again. Sean--Carnaby Street

Status
Not open for further replies.