Fuel Polishing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Stuart

A friend mentioned that he was having his fuel "polished" prior to an extended trip. Said the marina put two hoses in the fuel tank, and ran the fuel through a filter and then back into the tank to "clean" it up. Has anyone else had this procedure done, results? Expensive? Thanks, Stuart

C

Claus Kratky

Fuel Polishing

Had my fuel polished,a 25 Gl tank at a cost of $200.It is well worth it.The man that did mine does it for a living and usually does the tanks for large emergency generators up to 5000 Gl.The machine is a unit made in Bellingham,WA and takes the filtering down to 2 microns.It is mounted on its own cart and rolls right to the job.No spills!!! Excellent job and well worth it. Claus.

D

David Mullenax

$300?

I may be way off base here, since I haven't actually done any pricing, but I would think you could buy a NEW tank for less than $300.00

M

Mark

Filtering is a start

Fuel problems in boats begin with the fact that there is often Moisture in the fuel. The moisture can be entrained in the fuel itself, come from an outside source or, get there as a result of condensation on the inside of the tank due to changes in temperature. The moisture is the perfect environment for bacteria, which thrives in the moist warm environment of a fuel tank. The bacteria creates is the back slimy stuff you see. It can be killed with a biocide. There are many biocides on the market. Next you have to remove the carcasses by filtering the fuel or better yet replace it altogether. The last thing is the moisture must be removed or the bugs or bacteria will just come back. Good Luck

B

bryan

polish yourself

We have an old boat 74' with three tanks. We polish every year, no big deal. Went to Farm and Fleet and bought a small 12 volt pump and run the fuel in each tank through the Racors. disconect the line to the engine and tie into the tank return. Good luck!

F

Frank

Dick, How do you like your 430? I'm looking at one and would appreciate your comments. Thanks

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Clean Fuel Return Line Too

Recommend you clean the fuel return line too. If the inside of the fuel return line gets coated with crud and constrains the return fuel flow, the return pressure will build up and you'll get a runaway engine that you can't turn off with the engine stop. Some fuel lines that Hunter installed were automotive type and not Coast Guard approved. Rather than cleaning the line recommend just replacing it with approved marine type.

R

Roy Mosteller

Polished my fuel

Bought my 30T (1991) seven years ago and at that time polished the fuel because former owner never added any biocide and fuel was very dirty. Last month commenced having fuel supply problems so had a San Diego firm come to boat, cut access hole and thoroughly clean interior of tank in addition to polishing very dirty fuel. I could not describe how much crud tank contained even though I regularly add biocide. Cost was similar to that described by Dick McKee and may have been same firm. On entering tank they found no screen on bottom of pickup tube but discovered it had square cut and because of close proximity to tank bottom it was apparently touching bottom of tank and not drawing sufficient fuel. Made diagonal cut to bottom of tube and my fuel supply problems are solved. I am firm believer in regularly fuel polishing and having access to tank interior so it can also be thoroughly cleaned.

G

Gary C.

More detail on How Do Yourself??

Someone mentioned a 12 v. pump and putting fuel through "Racor"? showing ignorance here for sure, but could someone explain more? Also, are most marinas on inland lakes equipped with this type of equipment for the service? Or do major retailers like West sell the equipment? Last related question: If your tank is much bigger than necessary for the use ( H 410 on a large inland lake ), is it better to keep it topped off with fuel that won't be used for years (to avoid air ) or to keep it only half full so you get new fuel more often? Thanks.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Permanent or Temp installation.

Gary: I have found some articles on the internet that explained how we could build in a system to do this. It involved some bypass valves another filter and an electric fuel pump. This system could be run any time, either at the dock or at sea. If this setup was done properly you could do this as a maintenance item once a month or so. The other option would be to setup a mobile system that you could just tap in the tank with a pump and a filter with some hoses. If you have a new boat, I think that keeping biocide in you tank with each fill up and keeping your tank topped off is the best bet. I have never had any problems over the years but have kept biocide in the tank and usually have a fairly full tank most of the time. I try not to let the tank ever get below 1/2 full.

B

Bil Thomas Feng Shui

Polishing

I set a permenment polishing systems on my boat. I used a pair of inline desiel filter/sepreaters from JC whitney. For the pump i used 12 volt varible pressure pump. Everytime I do maintence or am sitting aqt the dock I let the polsiher run. draining the water if any and changing the filters when needed. I like the way it works, it keeps the fuel clean and prevents the build up in the tank. The second advantage is that if I lose a fuel pump I have and elelctirc pump inline ready at the flip of a switch and a couple of valves.

Dec 2, 1999
Cleaning out the crud

If you have crud in your tank and fuel lines, Soy Diesel is a wonderful product to do this. The higher the mixture the better job it will do.

Dec 2, 1999
They are running the world on Soy!

David: The rest of the world runs on Soy Diesel. Many municipal governments have switched to soy. There are fueling stations in many states that now pump a 20% blend out of the pump. There may be some mfg. that are not recommending it but Yanmar did not recommend 15/40 oil until the last few years either. Yanmar sponsered a round the world test on soy with their Outboard diesel engines. I would recommend that anyone that has any doubt to check with the mfg. The only thing I know is about the benefits of Soy Diesel. The only down side happens to be the financial cost.

D

David

My point

is if you are still under warranty it would be wise to check with the manufacturer before using soy. Then if you don't mind the fast food kitchen smell..............

J

John Van Wagoner

Permanent diesel fuel polishing system for 410

I am completing a permanently installed fuel polishing system for my 410. I used a Racor fuel fileter, a 12v 40gph Walbro pump rated for continuous duty, and several shut-off valves. The most difficult part was configuring the tank to pick up and return fuel. I use the second pick up fitting on the tank for the generator. I chose not to mess around with either fuel pick up. Instead I modified the generator return fuel fitting to act also as a pick up for the polishing system. Not hard to do but too intricate to describe here. I return the fuel throught the tank vent hose. Compact, simple and should work well. I will give it a test run this weekend. I have a 50 gallon tank. With my weekend sailing it is hard to use up the tank of fuel in a single season. I use biocide but still get microorganism buildup. And it is hard to keep water out of the fuel, especially here on the Gulf Coast with so much humidity. I should keep the tank full but just don't do it. Anyway, it was a fun project and should come in handy, especially if I get bad fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.