Fuel Overflow in Cockpit - Hunter 33.5 1992

Apr 9, 2014
Hunter 33 Davis Island, Tampa
When we fill up our fuel tank, it tends to overflow out of the area under the captain's seat in the cockpit. In the pictures below, the fuel comes out of the yellow knob, which must be part of the fuel tank. Does anyone have any idea on how to contain the overflow? Thanks for any help!

Attachments

Apr 9, 2014
Hunter 33 Davis Island, Tampa
We don't have a fuel gauge to let us know when the tank is full. Any other thoughts?

Sep 15, 2009
S2 9.2a Fairhope Al
with out a gauge...you have to determine how much fuel your tank will hold from empty to full ...then you have to determine how much fuel you use an hour .....knowing both of those will help you track your usage then you can determine the amount used by the number of hours you have run your engine..... then when filling back up just put that much back in ...... or if you can use a dip stick and measure the depth of the fuel and determine it that way if you can get one to go straight in...if not do the first thing ....

regards

woody

after rereading your post i am not sure that the fuel comes out the yellow knob as that is part of your rudder tube and has nothing to do with the fuel tank...there must be a vent leaking on to that yellow stopper .....your rudder tube is hollow and not connected to the fuel tank......

Apr 30, 2013
Hunter 35 Michigan
Fuel Whistle

I couldn't find this in the SBO store, which kind of surprised me, but do a Google search on Fuel Whistle Green Marine and you may find your solution there.

When we fill up our fuel tank, it tends to overflow out of the area under the captain's seat in the cockpit. In the pictures below, the fuel comes out of the yellow knob, which must be part of the fuel tank. Does anyone have any idea on how to contain the overflow? Thanks for any help!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
That is the steering quadrant and fuel should not venting out of there. Fuel tank vents are usually installed overboard. It could be that the vent is blocked and the pressure is pushing fuel through loosely fitted hose clamp. The best way to know how many gallons you can take in is by using an hour meter and a refined figure for the average burn rate of your engine. I'm usually close to 1/4 of a gallon. The thing is that when you get close to full you should slow down and listen for a gurgling noise. Fuel spillage in the water can be the cause of stiff fines so I would try to avoid. Look for the overboard vent, it usually has a chrome cover and is attached to the stern hull and see if it is plugged by insect nests.

Feb 1, 2011
sail boat dock
The vent comes out the side of the cockpit lazarette, a little chrome cover. It is indeed lower than the deck filler. You can have the vent moved higher or else heed the advice posted. I listen to the cavitation when I fill and avoid filling the tank much past the filler pipe to the deck. My fuel tank has been replaced with a poly tank with a gauge in the top. If you have an aluminum tank it may be at the end of it's life. The scoop stern seat lockers collect water on our models and it is difficult to detect small leaks due to the dilution.
Fair winds

Dec 28, 2009
Macgregor M25 trailer
I second Ken's, I've been using the seperator for over 20 years on my Grady and now one on the Mac, it works like a charm. Before that had been using the whistle, when the whistle would stop if you were just a little slow on the trigger you would get a spurt, none of that with the seperator.

tcbro

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Middle River, MD
I have a '92 H33.5

The vent is on the hull, port side just below the fill cap. The tank is below the floor in that lazarette. I've had to replace my fuel tank because corrosion caused a leak into the bilge. I have no idea why fuel is getting onto your rudder post. The top of the tank is at about the same level as the steering quadrant.

Tom