Fuel line crack.

Josko

Aug 29, 2021
Beneteau Antares 640 Sibenik
Hi everyone,
is it possible to get air in the fuel system through the cracked flexible fuel hose between primary fuel filter and lifting fuel pump,and of course you don’t have enough power and low rpm on engine.
If anyone have experience with this similar problem it will be much appreciate.
Thanks in advance.
Josko

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Very possible. The pump will be pulling a vacuum to get fuel through the primary filter. Bottom line- The entire fuel line system must be air-tight.

I had a small leak on my brand new genset. I could not get it to start at all until I found and fixed the air leak.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
It may be possible and if you have cracks in the fuel lines they are well past their prime and need to be replaced.

However, this sounds more like a clogged fuel filter. If the fuel lines are leaking air the diesel will probably not run. If the fuel filter is clogged it will run, but not very well. Check the primary and the secondary filters. And if the fuel lines have cracks replace them before they fail and dump a bunch of diesel in the bilge.

Josko

Aug 29, 2021
It may be possible and if you have cracks in the fuel lines they are well past their prime and need to be replaced.

However, this sounds more like a clogged fuel filter. If the fuel lines are leaking air the diesel will probably not run. If the fuel filter is clogged it will run, but not very well. Check the primary and the secondary filters. And if the fuel lines have cracks replace them before they fail and dump a bunch of diesel in the bilge.
Engine is starting and runing normall but,just don’t want to run more then 2100 rpm on full throttle,before it was 2700 rpm on full throttle.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Diesels want fuel and air in the correct proportions to run and give you the power you desire. Clog the air filter or play with the fuel and they rebel.

You were getting 2700 now 2100, symptomatic of air in the fuel. Or clogged air intake. You stated that the fuel line shows cracks on inspection. That is where I would start. Replace the fuel lines then test the engine.

good luck.

Josko

Aug 29, 2021
Diesels want fuel and air in the correct proportions to run and give you the power you desire. Clog the air filter or play with the fuel and they rebel.

You were getting 2700 now 2100, symptomatic of air in the fuel. Or clogged air intake. You stated that the fuel line shows cracks on inspection. That is where I would start. Replace the fuel lines then test the engine.

good luck.
Thank you,much appreciate.I will inspect all fuel lines and filters and bleed air from sistem.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Wherever you have fuel leaking out when the engine is running, you could have air seeping in when the engine is shut off.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
A dramatic loss of rpm s like josko has can also be due to a clogged exhaust elbow .