Fuel gauge / reading on a 2009 Beneteau 31

May 10, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 31 Beaver Lake, Roger, AR.
Hello all. I’m transitioning out of a 1996 Hunter 29.5. I have a question about a 2009 Beneteau 31. It would appear that both the fuel and water gauges on the main electrical panel are simply blank with no indication. Is this a common problem with these boats?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Is this a boat you are looking to buy or have you already bought her?
What does the seller say about it?
I'm sorry, I know nothing about Beneteaus, but this doesn't sound like an issue thaty should be a "common" problem for any popular manufacturer.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
both the fuel and water gauges on the main electrical panel are simply blank with no indication
Confused about this statement? There are gauges and they are reading zero? Or there is a blank piece of plastic where the gauge label is placed?
Could it be the gauges are not powered on? Could all of the tanks be emptied?
confused. :yikes::eek:o_O:wink3:

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Is it a VDO panel a bit like this -

D3466333-E74E-4F5D-8105-863AC26E9439.png

if so I’m surprised they would all show empty. The VDO panel will show empty only if there’s a low voltage coming back from the sensors. If there are 0 volts the panel will assume there’s no tank at all and not show it. The fuel sensor also works differently than the water tanks. The fuel sensor is a variable resistor, whereas the water sensors measure whether the water is high enough to provide continuity between electrodes at different heights in the tanks.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I assume you mean its blank meaning no digital display at all. If its that I would surmise it has no power going to it. Either you have to close a breaker (on mine its the Panel lights breaker) or there may be an inline fuse. Trace the wires from the meter to the 12 volt panel (hopefully its close to the panel) and I'll bet you find your cause.

May 10, 2017
I may have been premature asking this question as I haven’t taken possession of the 31 yet. Completed the survey last week and it will be delivered this week. What we found in the survey was that when either the fuel or water button was pushed on the panel nothing happened, the display never changed. I looked at the water tank and neither the surveyor or I could find a sending unit on the tank. We did find a round flat spot about 2-3 inches in diameter on the top of the tank that might be a spot to cut out and add a sending unit. Could fuel and water levels been an option? Second question how would I get a full list of equipment / options / what the boat was delivered with when it was delivered new?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
what the boat was delivered with
You would need a copy of the bill of sale to the original owner. Many features we all enjoy or want, were not “OEM original model” delivered items. Many were but many were add on dealer installed items that provided dealer profit to the bottom line.

May 17, 2004
when either the fuel or water button was pushed on the panel nothing happened, the display never changed.
That’s what it will do if it doesn’t detect any sending unit. Either because a sender is not connected, or not working properly. Once you have the chance you can check the back of the panel and see if anything is connected. There should be a 12 pin connector on the board. You can check and see which pins have wires attached to figure out what sensors might be installed. The pin out is -
57266384-2A14-478F-8899-F8BDA90DE1C4.png

I looked at the water tank and neither the surveyor or I could find a sending unit on the tank.
The water tank sensor may be a series of electrodes installed on the sides of the tank at different levels. Maybe 3 or 4 electrodes each with a wire coming off it.

May 10, 2017
I didn’t have my phone when I went out to look at the panel this last weekend so didn’t look up this post I believe I know where the 12 pin is in the picture I did tweak all of the wires “slightly side to side and the fuel is now working Given the diagram and table you supplied I’ll re

52C1F88C-AFFF-4D71-817B-BB7148855B49.jpeg

May 17, 2004
Definitely looks like the same panel as on our 2014 model. The full manual is attached. If you have a volt meter with narrow enough probes you may be able to measure the voltage on the pins when the connector is plugged in. The water sensors aren’t powered up all the time, only for about one second every twenty, or more if the display is actively showing that tank’s reading. If you’re able to read the voltage on pin 3 you should see it spike to a voltage corresponding to the tank level (1-6 volts or so). If not then there’s a bad connection between the pin and the tank somewhere.

Attachments