Fuel gauge Hunter 34 1985

Phips

Oct 10, 2023
Hunter 34 San Diego
Hi all,
New owner, new to forum, so apologies if this was answered already 20 time... but can't find the answer yet.
My fuel tank is equiped with a seabuilt plate, was wondering if there is a way to replace it with something on which i can mount a fuel gauge.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
If I may guess, this plate is close to 5" in diameter and bolts extend from the bottom and are fastened from the top with nuts.
I would remove the nuts and use the plate as a template and make a new cover from the same material, it does not have to be round, and install your new sending unit on the new plate. That way you can use the original plate if things go wrong.
I use this one, see link below

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
So it is. That's a new make on me.

1696961350481.png

1696961270495.png

I could not find a photo showing all of the parts of the inspection hand hole but somewhere in there is a gasket. Once you remove the original plate and supply a replacement plate, I would think you may be looking at leakage as diesel will leak through most anything. If you do replace the original plate, keep the old one in a safe place.

Next question, what type of level sensor are you looking at ?

Is there any room around the hand hole to mount the level sensor ?

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I know the skippers are trying to be helpful to your question. However, I urge you to learn your fuel consumption. I've been without a fuel gauge for 25 years!
See Reply #8 here: Fuel (In)Efficiency
That link also embeds another one with a handy spreadsheet example of how to do just that.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Your "seabuilt plate" looks to be an access plate. They are placed on tanks so you can access the interior of the tank for cleaning.

I believe if you unscrew the bolts and pick it up off the tank you will find it is just a plate. Here is the website and this is how they define the plate..

A New Solution to an Old Problem...
The SeaBuilt Access Plate System is a one of a kind product that allows access to your diesel fuel, water and holding tanks - so you can perform the important task of cleaning - giving you peace of mind. Clean tanks mean better and safer boating.

Now to address your problem of fuel gauge.

I agree with @Stu Jackson, not enough can be said to encourage you to learn your engine fuel consumption by record keeping of hours you run the engine and the volume you add to the tank/tanks. It is the surest way of having the fuel you need when you need it.

That said the convenience of a gauge (even if it is notoriously wrong) is a nice feature.

There are several designs that engage a float of some type, a power source and an electronic user interface telling you the volume of fuel in the tank. To do this you need a Sensor, power to energize the sensor and a gauge.

Starting with the gauge... Choose your favorite marketplace..

1696975091867.png

Wiring to connect power to the sensor and then back to the gauge. Often times the wire is connected to the back of the key so that it comes on when you turn on the engine. You can also just wire it to a switch that you turn on or off as you need.

Finally a sensor. Here are two basic types of floats in use.

1696975243219.png or 1696975344072.png

Here is a basic wiring diagram for installing the unit. You could drill a hole in the center of your plate and install the sensor through the plate. Since you can remove the plate from the tanks that means you can do the drilling away from the tank This would prevent any metal shavings from falling into the tank. An important step.

1696975291497.png

• Helpful
Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
I also agree with Stu and keep track of fuel usage on a per hour basis from the hour meter. I can generally tell the fuel dock operator how many liters she'll take, within a couple of liters. However for convenience of a quick glance, years ago I decided to also install a fuel gauge. I went with Wema, installed the gauge near the electical panel, and the sending unit through the large Seabuilt access plate I had installed previouly. On the pix you can see hour meter to the left of electrical panel and the fuel gauge to the right.

Attachments

Last edited:
Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Nice installation.
What is used for a gasket between the plate and FG tank ?

View attachment 220613
Tks for the nice comment but Sorry Ralph it's been 10 years + so I don't remember whether it's a gasket or a sealant. In the next couple of weeks I have to get down that dungeon to disconnect the batteries for the winter. I'll take a closer look and get back to you.

Oct 22, 2014
Ralph,
I bought the same designed sensor, a WEMA label, now manufactured be KUS.
The kit used a NBR gasket, but no mounting hardware.

• Helpful
Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
Nice installation.
What is used for a gasket between the plate and FG tank?
That tank on the H34 is crosslinked polyethylene. The gaskets supplied with the Sea Built kit is Buna-N on both the inside and out. A search on Hunter Owner Modifications will take you to my post of the access plate installation . Claude is right, it is a dungeon down there. Like Stu, for 36 years we kept a record of hours and added fuel and stabilizer as required. Our assumed burn rate was between 0.6-0.7 gal/ hr. That gave us a little margin. I used a couple of yellow 5 gal fuel containers to fill the tank.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Dungeon indeed.. This shows how bad the access is on the H-34 .. one arm has to go in first then after shoulders are in, the other arm comes in.. not easy to work down there..
In Pit 3.JPG In Pit 1.JPG

Jan 4, 2006
one arm has to go in first then after shoulders are in, the other arm comes in.
Good Lord man :yikes: !
It sounds as if you have to disassemble your body first, push one part in after another, and then re-assemble once they're all inside. In order to ensure that you get the re-assembly correct, you may want to carry a copy of these instructions when you go below :

The toe bone's connected to the foot bone,
The foot bone's connected to the ankle bone,
The ankle bone's connected to the leg bone,
Now shake dem skeleton bones!

The leg bone's connected to the knee bone,
The knee bone's connected to the thigh bone,
The thigh bone's connected to the hip bone,

Dem bones, dem bones, dem dry bones,

The hip bone's connected to the back bone
The back bone's connected to the neck bone,
The neck bone's connected to the head bone,

The finger bone's connected to the hand bone,
The hand bone's connected to the arm bone,
The arm bone's connected to the shoulder bone,

Oct 22, 2014
Tie a string on to something @kloudie1 so that the rescue team can find you and pull you back out... :yikes:

Jan 4, 2006
so I don't remember whether it's a gasket or a sealant.
I was just occurred to me when looking at your photo that if it's sealant, it's going to be one hell of a job to inspect the interior of the fuel tank.

I take it from other comments here that this is a fitting which comes with the tank ? Is this correct ? I've got to wonder why your hand hole is so much larger that the OP's ? It's almost a manhole for a very small man.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
There was no inspection plate in the original tank.. I haven't put one on my tank yet but before I do, I plan on opening the bulkhead in the aft cabin, as Claude Auger did, to be able to access the tank without crawling into the pit.

Yup I always have my phone with me when I contort into that space.. and I securely tie the lid so it doesn't fall and trap me in there.. I usually don't attempt going in there unless another person is on board. Practical Sailor just had a good piece on safety when going into spaces like that.. Thanks ThinWater.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
The sea built inspection port uses gaskets on the inside and outside of the 2 parts...so I am sure that is a gasket. The gasket helps hold the flange inside the tank from falling in when you take the cover plate off.

It looks like they make 6, 8, and 10” diameter access plates.

Bigger is probably better if you really need to work in the tank to clean it out.

Greg