Fuel Filters ???

Status
Not open for further replies.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
This is a very interesting and informative thread, and while Rich is obviously a filtration expert, and his comments sincerely appreciated, I think this is going into the technical weeds. I would make sure the Racor is drained of water, with a good filter, and spin a Napa Gold fuel filter onto the engine.

Unless the fuel you're getting i really crapola, that should work, no?

Jan 6, 2010
Guys,

We seemed to have created a monster here. But, this is what forums are supposed to do. There is always more than one way to skin a cat (no pun intended to all you cat owners).

So, my 12 year old manual shows all the Universal motors with the same P/N 2 micron. I called Yacht Power in St. Pete. & they were in agreement. Having the 10 micron secondary was never a problem, but bad info from NAPA started the whole question.

Originally, I was trying to save some money as Westerbeke jumped up all pricing. That's what took me to NAPA in the first place. This was not the first time a catalog number was incorrect for a replacement item.

This has turned out to be a good thread, thanks to all.........

CR

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
Here's my simplified message to avoid some serious engine problems when dealing with 'filters', especially when it comes to 'engine shutdown' at the worst possible times.

First, Use and install ONLY 'quality', even that it may cost you a paltry few more $$$.
Secondly, if you have the extra $$$ available, install and use the LARGEST filters that you can fit.
Third, dont put 'crap' in your tanks - buy your fuel only from 'high turnover' fuel sources, where the fuel is always 'fresh'. If you 'have to' buy from a non-highturnover source, before you put 'crap' into your tank - pour some into a clear glass, hold it up to BRIGHT light, and if you denote any 'haze', close up and move on.
Lastly, change the filters after one year - all of them.

:) simple and effective !!!!!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
"Third, don't put 'crap' in your tanks - buy your fuel only from 'high turnover' fuel sources,..."

I sure learned my lesson when out fuel dock was being re-constructed. I jugged in fuel from a gas station. It was easy to get in and out of the diesel pump because it was so awkward to use. Ergo, no fuel turnover. Result: nasty bugs. Biocyde treatment, filtering and frequent filter changes seems to have mostly handled it, but point learned.

BTW, I always used a treatment. Not enough obviously to ward of a nasty bug tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.