Fuel Filters

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
Let me first start by saying this is completely my fault, I am not blaming any company or order filling person. Last time I did an engine service, I went home and with a few clicks of the mouse, the new filters arrived a week or so later. I didn’t pay too much attention at the time (my fault), I did notice that the fuel filter was a different part number, but it was a different brand so I just took them to the boat. Fast forward to present time and fresh engine service happening. Not to start an argument so I will just call this the fuel filter on the engine, was Universal 298854. The new one is Westerbeke 36918. I tried to find if this was a cross reference part number but I don’t think so. It is listed as an oil filter on the Westerbeke site. The size and threads are the same, but looking inside the oil filter appears to have a bypass. My gut tells me I threw away some money on an oil filter I can’t use. Hoping some of the smart people here have some insight as to whether this is a door stop or not. Thanks!

Attachments

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
That's an oil filter and there is a good chance it will work as an oil filter on your engine but you don't say what engine you have.
It looks like it cross references to Universal oil filter 300209

Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
Thanks. I have the Universal M-25XPB on my boat. That is the oil filter on my engine so they will be useful after all. Thanks again. I wasn’t able to find the cross reference.

Jan 30, 2012
Nor'Sea 27 "Kiwanda" Portland/ Anacortes
Nov 16, 2017
Catalina 310 #246 TX
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the 298854 and the 300209 and received the 300209 and the 36918’s. It’s at least good know I can use the oil filters. Will pick up the correct fuel filter so I can finish the work. Thanks again for the replies!