Fuel Filter water separator recommendations

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
My Beneteau First 310 has a Volvo Penta 2002 BT HE LD engine. I am looking at changing out the factory fuel filter/separator and replacing it with a Racor and a vacuum gauge. The filter I am referencing is the one between the tank and the engine.

Question is: What Racor filter/separator to use? Any one have any recommendations as to model and specs? How fine should the filter be? 2 micron, 10 micron, 30 micron?

Appreciate your feedback.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If you have space and budget a 500 series is the best. I'm limited on space so went with a 120 so I can use R12 and R13 filters. Use either 10 or 30. I'm using the 10 micron. The 2 micron will wear out the lift pump faster.

Les

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
look at the SEPAR back flushable fuel filters too. they are great as a primary filter.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Also you can pickup vacuume gauges at hydrolic shops much cheaper than the racor gauge It just won't have fancy colors.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Those big Racors are designed for the fuel flow requirements of the mobos and sized to match. The plastic bowl varieties are not rated for engine bay install and you likely have no other good place to install it. An all-metal Racor 110 w/10mic filter has more than enough capacity, will easily fit your engine bay and can be fitted with a Parker vac gauge.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
The thing I hate about the 110 model is you cannot see into the bowel and you cannot prime the hoses. The 500 series with metal bowel shield may be an overkill at 60 gph but really is a nice product. Too bad they don't have a smaller version.......

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
NY, you don't need a prime pump for your Yanmar, just mostly refill the bowl prior to reinstall, the engine will crank an extra lick and fire up. Keep your deck fill o-ring fresh, change out your filter yearly (it is hydrophilic) and if you don't know what you have in your tank, look there for any potential problems.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
i use a racor 500 fg. i donot have the need to re-prime when i change cartridges. LOVE these filters/separators

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
been watching enso cycles not change much among other things like refitting my formosa.
watching for a friend sailing across pacific.
i am glad racor created the changes they have so i can change the cartridge of my separator without breaking prime.
this is best innovation i have yet seen. so much activity in oceans again with this weak la nina cycle which just began it is nice to know it doesnot have to take an hour to change a miserable cartridge while underway.