Fuel filter sizing

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
I have a Yanmar 3GM30F with a Racor 220 fuel filter. The housing has a crack and I'm sizing a replacement. The 220 is rated at 30 GPH. Seems like overkill on an engine that burns about a gallon an hour. Engine space is limited and the Racor 230 (also rated at 30 GPH) is larger that the 220. Is a 15 GPH filter an acceptable replacement? I'm thinking of the Racor 215 (15 GPH) or 120 (20 GPH) series filters. The Yanmar documentation doesn't provide a spec that I can find. Any pros or cons to either of those choices?

Thanks.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I have a Yanmar 3GM30F with a Racor 220 fuel filter. The housing has a crack and I'm sizing a replacement. The 220 is rated at 30 GPH. Seems like overkill on an engine that burns about a gallon an hour. Engine space is limited and the Racor 230 (also rated at 30 GPH) is larger that the 220. Is a 15 GPH filter an acceptable replacement? I'm thinking of the Racor 215 (15 GPH) or 120 (20 GPH) series filters. The Yanmar documentation doesn't provide a spec that I can find. Any pros or cons to either of those choices?

Thanks.
Beneteau equipped our 3YM30 with a Racor 110A, which is rated at 15 gph.

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I went with the 15GPH Racor when I added it to my fuel system. The Westerbeast sucks fuel at a whopping .5 gallon an hour. So I don't worry about crushing the elements in the Racor.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
I have M35B and it came with 215 with 2 micron.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have M35B and it came with 215 with 2 micron.
Joe.. 2 Micron is too fine, in my opinion. This is one of those times when too much of a good thing can not be good. This can affect your pumps by trying to draw fuel through a clogged filter.

Westerbeke provides a range of filter micron sizes (10-25 micron) in their manual. They suggest a 2 stage approach.
  1. First stage is between the engine and the fuel tank. It is primarily a fuel/water separator. The Racor 500 is suggested. (see this page from the Westerbeke 35B Manual - "WaterSeperator M35B" attached.)
  2. The Second stage is the filter attached to your engine. This is the messy one when you try to make the change. They have a kit that will allow you to attach a spin on filter. This filter uses the same micron range as the water separator. (see the page from the Westerbeke 35B Manual - "Westerbeke M35B Filter" attached.)
This range is the to encourage the fuel to flow even when clogged so that the fuel pump will not become damaged.

As always it is your boat and your choice.

Attachments

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2012
I agree with the 2 micron caution. Maine Sail and others have posted about this. I also gained some direct experience and had to replace my relatively new lift pump after thinking, "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right."

Nov 21, 2012
Thanks for all your replies. I went with the Racor 230RMAM for a couple of reasons. It's installed in the engine room, so I took the opportunity to install a unit that is rated for that environment. The 215/230 has a priming pump, which in my system is necessary. It has the same bolt holes as the 220 for ease of installation. I also have a choice of filters, both in micron rating and physical size - the larger ones are rated for 30 GPH, and the smaller ones are rated for 15 GPH. If the clearance is a PITA I can use the smaller filter.

I sprung for the vacuum gauge and shutoff valves for both sides of the filter while I was at it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
If the clearance is a PITA I can use the smaller filter.
Just be sure to get the 10 micron not the 2 micron part numbered filter. Fortunately, at Fisheries Supply, the 2 micron version is a special order item.:dancing:

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
3YM30 with a Racor 120A "Low flow" (15 GPH) 30 micron primary (first filter after fuel tank), and 10 micron secondary (fuel filter attached to the engine). Motor burns way less than 1 GPH. My guess is you'll be fine with a "low flow" fuel filter/water separator with your 3GM30F.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Is a 15 GPH filter an acceptable replacement? I'm thinking of the Racor 215 (15 GPH) or 120 (20 GPH) series filters. The Yanmar documentation doesn't provide a spec that I can find. Any pros or cons to either of those choices?

Thanks.
Probably, albeit I recommend staying with the same Racor 220R (parts list attached) unless there are space constraints and/or maintainability issues. I have a Racor 230R (30 gph) with 2 micron primary filter to maximize water separation ahead of the engine 10 micron filter on my Hunter 46 Yanmar 4JH3-TE. Never had an issue restricting fuel flow or fouling the primary and secondary filters since I keep the fuel tank topped off to mitigate moisture into the fuel and add a diesel fuel treatment to help prevent phase separation by dispersing water throughout the fuel as submicron-sized droplets that are safely eliminated while the engine operates.

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
If you are still considering a filter or filter housing change, look carefully at the availability and cost of replacement elements. I have R215's for my engine and genset but finding replacement elements off the shelf is near impossible. And when I do find them available on line, they are very expensive- like $30+. I have considered changing my R215 housing to one that uses easily obtainable elements at a more reasonable price.

Nov 21, 2012
Done deal. The filters were available at Fisheries Supply. Haven't tried to source them elsewhere, but I do carry spares.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
No diesel mechanic here, but it is my understanding that while the engine burns very little fuel, the surplus that the pump draws also cools the injector system and returns the unburned back to the tank. At least that is the way our boat is set up. It also came standard with a Racor 110 fuel filter with a ten micron cartridge element between the tank and the engine. The propulsion engine has a ten micron spin on canister filter, while the Genset originally came with a two micron cartridge element. When the two micron became clogged I replaced it with a NAPA six micron canister rather than pay the much, much, much higher price of the Onan replacement cartridge. The Genset also has a Racor 110 ten micron filter between the tank and the engine.