FUEL FILTER REPLACEMENT

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

john dewey

WHEN CHANGING THE PRIMARY AND SECONDARY FUEL FILTERS WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO GET THE LINES PRIMED AGAIN? FOPMER ENGINES THAT I HAD REQUIRED CRACKING ALL THE FITTINGS TO GET THE MOTOR STARTED. THIS IS MESSY AND TIME CONSUMING. THANKS JOHN

Jun 2, 2004
Several Catalinas C25/C320 USA
Filter Replacement

Here's what works for my 3GM30F: A. Be sure primary filter was filled with fuel prior to reassembling (takes 20 oz). B. Open the bleed screw on the secondary fuel filter (one on the engine). C. Pump the handle on the primary filter about 25 times, then secure handle. If this handle appears to be not pumping fuel, it will take about 200 stokes on the fuel feed pump handle to get fuel coming out of the secondary fuel filter bleed screw. Omit this step if no pump handle on primary filter. D. Pump the fuel feed pump handle. Be sure to press down hard during the last ½” of travel…that’s when it is moving fuel. E. Fuel should now becoming out the bleed screw. When it is all fuel and no air close screw and secure. F. Open fuel injection pump bleed screw. Pump fuel feed pump, when it is all fuel and no air (lots of air in here), secure screw. G. Start and check for leaks.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Bleeding

If you have an electric fuel pump you do NOT need to manually pump the primary filter. I suggest that you do an archive search on "bleeding." It's all there. Stu

D

Dave

25XP Bleeding Procedure

On the Universal 25XP (yours may be a 25XPB) with an electric fuel pump the procedure is simple. On the top of the engine near the injectors is a knurled knob. Turn the knob until the bypass is open (couple of turns). Turn the ingnition on (don't start engine). The fuel pump will make a very fast ticking sound until there is fuel in both filters and lines. You'll notice it will slow down when everything is primed. Close the knob and the ticking should slow down to the usual pace. Start engine and let it run for a few minutes. That's it!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
With some M25s

you'll need to open the nut on the top of the secondary (engine-mounted) filter. Look it up on the archives under "bleeding" as noted above. Dave's right for some of these engines. Stu

Status
Not open for further replies.