fuel filter replacement

Aug 18, 2018
Tartaan Tartan 30 Plymouth
Hello,
I am thinking about replacing the ancient Racor 200fg filter on my Yanmar 2gm.
The stainless steel band that clamps the lid down with a side-mounted knob is difficult to secure and the bleeder valve on the bottom is somewhat stripped.
So, what would be the best replacement?
Would the Racor 500fg2 be the right call?
Also, when I do replace it, would it be wise to keep it in roughly the same position? (It appears to be at the same level as the bottom of the fuel tank, for what that is worth.) I would like to place it higher on the bulkhead to make it more accessible.
Thanks for any thoughts you might have. I just recently discovered this site and it is great to have a resource like this.
Gary

Attachments

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Lots of folks using the Racor 500 - a bit overkill in my opinion. Replaced my Dahl (similar to yours) with a Racor 100 series. Even the smallest Racor will have more than sufficient flow/filtering capacity for our small engines. Do purchase a vacuum gauge (not Racor tooo much $$) so you Change filters when needed not based on a calendar.

If you have clean fuel and don’t get it water contaminated a filter will last 3-4 years.

Les

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
:plus: What @LeslieTroyer said.
The Racor 500FG has a 3.8L per minute flow rate. The 200 a 1.9L per minute flow rate. Both require a minimum 4 inches clearance above the filter to change the filter.
While the 500 has a convenient T handle bolt to seal the filter casing the cost of the 500 probably out ways the functionality for your engine. The 500 will just move and hold the fuel in the filter rather than in the tank with your motor. Raising the filter will put additional strain on the fuel pump to lift the fuel out of the tank to the filter. Not necessarily a no go issue but a factor for consideration..
Let us know what you do and pictures are always nice.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The Racor 110 will do the job in the same location. Add a vacuum gauge and you’ll never have to guess when to change the fuel filter. Just bleed the bowl every spring to determine if you have any water in there. This one is in the engine bay, so it is all metal.
B06F3AED-3187-48AA-921C-6C3D2C28A396.jpeg

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
We have the same 200fg filter and the same issue with the bleeder valve. Stinks because I still have 1/2 dozen replacement elememts.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Stinks because I still have 1/2 dozen replacement elememts.
Perhaps someone with elements to part with could come up with a date that everyone could offer them in the freebie forum or the classified "for sail" forum? Like "filter Friday", the day after Thanksgiving.

Last edited:

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I had the 110 racor on my Yanmar 4JH4E and switched to the 500fg. I know it’s an overkill but figure why not..... I like the ability to see what's in the bowl and love the ease of changing the filter if/when needed. Also like the overkill so when I’m motoring in messy seas for 10 hours I know my filter can handle and sludge the 13 year old tank might throw at me.....

Greg

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Not to hijack the thread but what do people feel about the see through plastic bowls in diesel engine compartments. Is that acceptable?

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Not to hijack the thread but what do people feel about the see through plastic bowls in diesel engine compartments. Is that acceptable?
The 500f because it had the metal bowel is approved I believe...... gives more burn time I guess. My filter is aft of my engine on this boat but prior was right next to engine.

Greg

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I got myRacor 500 a lot years back when WM had a clearance store
on Long Island and got for $95 and the thing I like about it is so easy to change and cheap filters so I know not cheap now but well worth the price and don’t need to bleed.
I would buy it at the higher price the easy change and cheaper element pays for it.
Nick

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
see through plastic bowls in diesel engine compartments. Is that acceptable?
Parker/Racor page addressing CG aproval. https://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/Marine_Certifications.pdf
The Racor 500MA is the smallest filter that meets the standard for CG approval install in a diesel engine room when used on an inspected vessel.
United States Coast Guard accepted for use aboard inspected vessels per 33 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations). 500MA, 900MA, 900MAM, 1000MA, 1000MAM, 731000MA, 731000MAM and
771000MA.​
So yes with the metal bottom shield.
Racor w-Vacuum Gauge.JPG
The vacuum gauge is an extra.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
The 500f because it had the metal bowel is approved I believe...... gives more burn time I guess. My filter is aft of my engine on this boat but prior was right next to engine.

Greg
The Racor 500FG does NOT have a heat shield, has plastic valves/plugs, and is not compliant for engine-room installs.

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Quick question regarding the installing of the Vacuum Gauge.
In my 340 the Racor 110A is located just under the floor opening in the aft stateroom. There is zero clearance between the hatch opening and the top of the filter.
Can a Vacuum Gauge be installed on its side facing upwards?
The entire fuel line runs along the very edge of the flooring from the tank to the filter and after the filter there is about 2 inches of open area.
I like the idea of having the convenience of the Gauge, but location is not in my favor.
Thank you for the input.

Jun 24, 2014
Westsail 28 72 Long Beach , California
My set up is waaaay over kill , I have two . One I can switch off . Hey I was young and had money . One thing though on the bottom of my 500 there was a plastic plug a little up from the bottom the hole is for a sensor . Anyhow the plug developed a leak , Racor sells a replacement steel plug .

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
BTW, if your fuel filter housing is in a damp area or exposed to seawater don't do what I did and use brass fuel fittings, use stainless steel.

Aug 18, 2018
Tartaan Tartan 30 Plymouth
Well,
Thanks for all the replies. Whereas the boat is coming out this week, I've decided to think about it for a while.
I like NYsail's overkill method and his rationale: My fuel tank has never been replaced and won't be for another year, so I would like to minimize the potential for contamination in the meantime. But Gunni's setup is very tempting: Elegantly simple and no more than what is absolutely necessary. Decisions, decisions.
Either way, there will be a vacuum gauge.