Fuel filter relocation

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
I own a 1987 O'Day 272le with a old Groco fuel filter located in the starboard cockpit locker. I want to update the old Groco to a new Parker filter higher up in the locker so I change it easier. Will the fuel lift pump handle being raised ? Has anyone done this change?

Sep 7, 2009
I forgot to mention the 87 O'Day has a Westerbeke 10-2 diesel engine.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Sep 7, 2009
Hi Stu
I can't find out who makes the lift pump on my boat, so I called Westerbeke for more info. I'll let you know the outcome. Thanks for your response.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Chuck you may find, like sailors before you, that our boats are a mixture of parts based on builder purchased negotiations. From one year to the next the manufacturer of a pump here or a filter there will change due to availability and cost. Or if you are buying a previously owned boat the PO may have changed the part based on his/her selection or pocket book.

My experience is to look to the functional demand of the associated parts and then make your best compromise selection. Monitor performance and make adjustments as your experience dictates.

In your specific case, how far is the tank beneath the fuel pump? (This dictates lift required) How far is the tank from the lift pump on the engine? What filters do you have in place that might impinge on the fuel flow? And what psi is called for by the engine specifications?

These will give you clues as to the size and type of pump might be a good fit. I have found Walbro fuel pumps to be reliable.

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
I own a 1987 O'Day 272le with a old Groco fuel filter located in the starboard cockpit locker. I want to update the old Groco to a new Parker filter higher up in the locker so I change it easier. Will the fuel lift pump handle being raised ? Has anyone done this change?
Just curious. Is your existing lift pump before or after the Groco filter?

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
I installed a purolator 35gph in my 30' Oday.
1593601948731.png
Set up from tank to engine is tank>30 micron > 10 micron> Fuel Pump> Engine mounted Napa Gold Filter> Engine. (this picture shows two 10 microns, its since been changed)
IMG_3096.JPG

OVERKILL you say? Yes, however after multiple fuel/water issues, I'm playing it safe.
This little pump is working great and I have a spare ready with quick disconnect on the wires, should I have to swap out while out on the water. Its affordable and worth having, if not just for peace of mind.
Pump runs with no fuel starvation at all.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Chuck, we owned the identical boat. I swapped out the bronze Groco for a Racor. If the tank is full, physics takes over. Much of the lift is overcome by fluids seeking their own level. Afterwards, the siphon effect comes into play.
Mounted our Racor on the forward bulkhead of that cockpit lazarette above the batteries. That Westerbeke also has filters on the engine itself.

Sep 7, 2009
Thanks all for your info. I've got mixed info from Westerbeke. One from the main office. One from a regional dealer. They contradict each other. What to do. Since the existing Groco is working well and access is the only reason for replacing the old filter, I will find a small person to service it. Thanks again for all your help.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I installed a purolator 35gph in my 30' Oday.
View attachment 181764
Set up from tank to engine is tank>30 micron > 10 micron> Fuel Pump> Engine mounted Napa Gold Filter> Engine. (this picture shows two 10 microns, its since been changed)
View attachment 181765

OVERKILL you say? Yes, however after multiple fuel/water issues, I'm playing it safe.
This little pump is working great and I have a spare ready with quick disconnect on the wires, should I have to swap out while out on the water. Its affordable and worth having, if not just for peace of mind.
Pump runs with no fuel starvation at all.
If you main issue is water, the series filters won’t help. The first filter will fill up with water and block all flow (water or fuel) to the second filter. Your better off putting the two in parallel and going with either 10 or 30 micron filters.

• Helpful
Oct 22, 2014
Your better off putting the two in parallel and going with either 10 or 30 micron filters.
:plus:

The benefit is if one gets placed up you can always switch to # 2 while you resolve any issues with #1. And you get to keep sailing.

Aug 11, 2011
Prior to me purchasing my boat, the boat sat on the hard for three years.Within three months, I got it so I could splash it and get it a mile up river to my slip. My first long trip to check out upgrades on my engine, I ended up being towed back to my slip. (1st water in tank related fiasco). I decided I was going to remove the fuel via the electric fuel pump. Parker filter, (non serviceable) was filled up with crap, growth and water very quickly. (2nd water related fiasco). Using a manual siphon hose, I emptied the tank into multiple fuel containers. Took the fuel home and polished it. While the tank was empty (just a little fuel, crap, growth and water still in there) I decided I would pull it out and clean it thoroughly. Yeah, right!. Tank could not be pulled out through the lazareatte. Filler neck was one inch too big. So I tilted it to empty the remainder into a plastic wash basin. Out came some really disgusting stuff. I rinsed it out with some fuel tank cleaner after letting the cleaner sit for a week. Then let it air dry. In the mean time I built my tank holder frame and put it all back. As a maintenance and precaution task, I changed out the o ring on the cap. Said to myself " Self, where the hell is the o ring?" No bloody wonder there is water in the fuel tank. Three seasons of winter snow and ice melting plus all the rain!!!!!

I hear what your saying about a bypass system, and I'm considering making it happen. Just need to figure a design that's simple and I can incorporate some parts I have in my "ONE DAY I'LL NEED THIS" box.

• Ha
Oct 22, 2014
As a maintenance and precaution task, I changed out the o ring on the cap. Said to myself " Self, where the hell is the o ring?" No bloody wonder there is water in the fuel tank.
Boy do I know that experience. Since putting "O" rings on my fuel filler caps, I have been "WATER" free and less fuel filter issues/changes..

Such a simple concept. Regular maintenance.

Darn, Previous Owner deferred maintenance.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
That CG document number won't pass muster. It is not permanenly attached. I removed mine and put the letters right on the hull, then several layers of varnish(I think it was) or maybe epoxy.

Aug 11, 2011
That CG document number won't pass muster. It is not permanenly attached. I removed mine and put the letters right on the hull, then several layers of varnish(I think it was) or maybe epoxy.
No worries. The authority's that handle document numbers have been notified that the vessel has been registered in MD. I requested that the number be decomissioned. They said that the number will always be associated with the hull number, however in cases where I may be boarded, my MD registration is sufficient.

Jun 1, 2007
O'Day 322 Mt.Sinai
I lost my pics during a computer upgrade, so going by memory here. I had an 87 272LE with the Groco fuel filter. I had issues twice with fuel clogs during rough conditions. I removed the fuel tank and cleaned it up nice (no easy task!), but to make sure I'd never have a problem again, I added a Racor filter in parallel to the Groco. I added 2- 3 way valves to the fuel line, such that the fuel runs from the tank through the Groco to the engine, or runs through the Racor. If both valves are closed then fuel can't enter from the tank or exit to the engine, and I could work on either filter without much spillage. I mounted the Racor above the Groco and used the Racor as the primary filter (used it all the time). In the next 3 years, I had one occasion to use the valves, and they worked great! While going south and west around Orient Point, NY, it got pretty sloppy. The RPM's started to slow. I opened the lazerrate and switched to the Groco filter, and the engine picked right back up! I swapped out the Racor filter in case I had to do it again, but all was good after that.
The net, yes, the electric fuel pump in the 272 will easily handle pulling fuel through a filter mounted above the Groco. And, consider (as others have said) keeping the Groco and adding some valves as I did.