Fuel Filter Question

Apr 16, 2021
Catalina 30 2594 Nepean Sailing Club
I am trying to find a replacement part for a fuel filter element installed as my primary fuel filter/water separator on my 1984 Catalina 30. I have no idea when this filter was last changed as I have had the boat only a short time but the filter looks very filthy. It is installed past the fuel pump but before the secondary filter on the engine. The engine is a Universal M25, 21HP. The boat information that I had suggested that it should be a Racor R24T filter as the primary fuel filter but when I came to replace it, I realize that this is not what is installed on the boat. I am not sure what the brand of the filter assembly is but it is attached to the bulkhead and I needed to remove four screws to remove the plastic transparent bowl where the element is sitting.

I found what I thought was the part number indicated on the part: '55440-1299, Fabricated in South Africa by Donaldson Co', however after I could not find the part on line, I contacted Donaldson and they told me that the part does not show on their system, so it is likely an old part and the number on it is the postal code of their headquarters.... The filter element is approximately 2 5/8" by 1 3/4" diameter. There is room in the glass bowl where the element sits to go a bit larger if this is an acceptable way of replacing the filter, but i am not sure if this is acceptable or what to replace it with. I don't mind using a part from another manufacturer either. I looked on several sites and on different forums but I don't seem to be able to find this setup. Has anyone have any information on a replacement part?

Here is a picture of the filter element.
Fuel filter element 2.jpg

Thank you for your help.

Richard

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It is installed past the fuel pump but before the secondary filter on the engine. The engine is a Universal M25, 21HP. The boat information that I had suggested that it should be a Racor R24T
The correct order should be tank>>primary filter>>fuel pump>>secondary>>engine. This is to prevent the fuel pump being the first filter in line from the tank.
Many if not most Catalinas did come with those Racors. Who knows what a PO may have done.

A picture of the housing would help. I do not recognize the guts of that filter, some others here may be able to do so.

Here are some links for you to research:
Racor Fuel Filter Numbers
Fuel Filtration 101 & Racor fuel filter numbers

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :)
Diesel Engine - c34.org

Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Check Ball Valve
Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Check Ball Valve
and
Fuel Starvation and The Obscure Ball Check Valve

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
ONCE AGAIN STU STEALS MY THUNDER.... The order that Stu has passed on is imperative ! Best advice that I can give you is to install a new Racor filter and water separator. Don't waste your time trying to find something that might not be available. While there, you might want to replace ALL of the fuel hose too.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Like Stu indicates, the location of the filter is incorrect. Given this and the fact that it seems like an old filter which may be out of production or very hard to find, I would suggest you purchase and properly install a new filter. Something like a Racor Turbine Series 60 or the less expensive Racor Spin-On Filter Kit.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
When it comes to primary filter systems, you either get to choose an inexpensive housing and expensive aftermarket filters (R24) or expensive housings and vastly less expensive aftermarket filters (500 series). I haven't heard of cheap "both". :huh:

Your boat, your choice. :)

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Welcome to SBO @RichardT
I cannot add anything beyond what Stu posted, and Stu know boat systems so is worth paying attention to. I just wanted to say hi, I sail out of Britannia across the bay from Nepean.

Apr 16, 2021
Catalina 30 2594 Nepean Sailing Club
Thank you all for the recommendations and comments. Much appreciated. I was going to take pictures or try to find a brand on the filter assembly today but our marina has just been closed because of Covid....

Richard

Jun 4, 2004
-catalina -22 fresno, calif.
I know the adventure of tracking something down and the excitement of success in capturing your prey, but Stu and Benny are correct. Re-rout the hoses and get a new easy to find filter and housing.