Fuel Capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David

I have a 1981 H36 and would like to increase my fuel capacity by installing additional tankage. Has anyone with a 36 done this and where was the tank located? Thanks

D

Don Bodemann

All the 36s

Dave, I am amazed to hear of someone who wants to add fuel storage. I believe your boat came with a 24 gal tank...yes? and a 20 some hp diesel...yes? Probably enough fuel to last me two seasons!....Unless I did a lot of cruising. I do recall using a fare amount on our 10 day cruise. Anyway, I'll be watching to see how many responses you get from other 36 owners. These seem to be a rare boat. I wish you good luck! Don Bodemann

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
How about a larger tank.

David: Have you looked into installing a larger tank instead of an additional tank. If you add another tank you are going to have to worry about air getting into the line when you switch tanks. Another option may be having a tank in one of your lazarettes and adding another fuel pump that could pump fuel from our aux. tank into the primary tank. What is your purpose of increasing the storage? 24 gals is probably 36 - 48 hours of motoring.

M

Mike Daus

Increased fuel cap to 30 gal.

the previous (original) owner of our 82 H36 replaced the 20(?) gal tank with a 30 gal tank. It is located high up on the port side aft roughly below the port winch. It is accessible from the port cockpit locker. (I believe this is where the original tank was installed.) He also increased the engine size to a Yanmar 28 hp and 3-blade prop. He did a lot of motoring in Puget Sound. We are on Lake Coeur d'Alene ID and put all of 18 hours on the engine last year (1st season with the boat). Will be at boat tomorrow and will see if I can get any info that may be on the tank itself.

H

hp

fuel tank capacity

David, I would caution that adding extra fuel tanks may increase fuel problems as in getting old and algie. I would suggest carry a 5 gallon container if you are planning a trip rather then another tank unless you want the extra capacity all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.