Fuel Cap Winch

Jun 20, 2021
Beneteau 343 Fort Lauderdale
Where do I find a Fuel cap winch or deck winch? It looks like it's the save size for the water ports as well.

I think I found one on ebay, but the shipping is more than the tool.

Jun 20, 2021
JPEG_20210815_134408_2846214224145295698.jpg
that might actually work as I know see the holes that would fit that key. I'm use to a winch that fits the star pattern shown in the photograph.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
View attachment 197193 that might actually work as I know see the holes that would fit that key. I'm use to a winch that fits the star pattern shown in the photograph.
you don’t have any winch handles on your boat? I assumed these star deck fill caps used a winch handle to open…

Greg

Jun 20, 2021
i have the winch handle to trim the sails but it's a different size.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
$7 for 2 deck fill cap keys seems like a reasonable price AND you get a spare key key, which is a good idea. I have many extras and happy to offer one.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mantus makes an interesting one. Flexible and adjusts to all designs. Gives you a lot of purchase should someone really have torqued the cover down.
1629114018475.png

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
The deck fill caps on the Beneteau I have, one for diesel and the other for water. the sockets in the caps are distinctly different sizes. One can be opened with a winch handle and the other with a similar but smaller “handle” I don’t believe either cap can be opened with. a universal tool.
Sailsfbay in post #4 has a photo of one of the type I have.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Doug... SailsfBay in post 4 shows an 8 point tool. 8 points is two squares offset by one notch. I am not sure but the Universal tool from Mantus might work. It has a 4 point fitting on the pice that slides on the bar. It fits my Harken Winch handle fitting.
IMG_1592.JPG

If the deck caps accepts an 8 point winch handle the Universal lid key might work.

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
A little reseach and found these were manufactured by Amiot in France for a variety of European built Yachts, notably Beneteau and Jeanneau. Now made by Goiot, most deck fills come with a cap meant to be unscrewed using a standard Winch Handle (11/16" Square or Octagonal) or Winch Handle Key. Deck Fills for Gas come with a cap that is unscrewed using a special Hexagonal Key (smaller than a Winch Handle) to help prevent potentially disastrous mistakes in refilling, but the special Cap is sometimes used on other Deck Fills. You can buy a hexangonal star deck filler key in the US here: Amiot Deck Fills (rigrite.com) or overseas here for £4.15: Hexagonal Star Deck Filler Key - Sheridan Marine
1629147820845.png

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
Who knew? Not the best engineering in the world.

Greg
actually a fairly good Idea. Standard winch handle fits one. Small six point fits the other.
At least it makes you look twice before dumping fuel in the wrong tank…or the opposite.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
actually a fairly good Idea. Standard winch handle fits one. Small six point fits the other.
At least it makes you look twice before dumping fuel in the wrong tank…or the opposite.
Interesting idea, but still a pain in the arse as the OP has found.

RTFL (a modification of RTFM). My deck fills are all LABLED.…RTFLabel!

Greg

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby

Greg
Not a pain in the arse ,they are labelled and beneteaus come with the 2 ended wrench both sizes when purchased new ,looks like OP lost it . It's like 20 bucks to buy from Beneteau and does both

Jun 20, 2021

Greg
Not a pain in the arse ,they are labelled and beneteaus come with the 2 ended wrench both sizes when purchased new ,looks like OP lost it . It's like 20 bucks to buy from Beneteau and does both
do you have a link to the Beneteau parts site? or, do I need to call their service?