Fuel and Water Tank Level

Dec 28, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 400 Auckland
Hello

Can anyone comment on water or fuel level meters or some basic way to tell when the tank is near empty?

I’ve to put in a transponder, right? Seems like an issue making and sealing holes for the wires.

My tank gauge is not working.

I’d be satisifed with a very basic means of finding out when the tanks “near empty”

Anyone with experience with this?

Thank you in advance for any help

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
It seems everyone has their opinion about which is best and usually predicated on what they have used. I'd suggest you look at reviews of the capacitative type tape gauges - they stick on the outside of the tank -and therefore not susceptible to fouling (assuming you have poly tanks).

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I agree with Don for water tank sensors. For fuel tank sensors floats mounted from the top of the tank are both common and notoriously inaccurate. The better method to judge fuel is probably by counting hours. Just fill up once, then again after, say, 20 hours to calculate your gallons/hr usage.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The better method to judge fuel is probably by counting hours. Just fill up once, then again after, say, 20 hours to calculate your gallons/hr usage.
Yes ^^^^ So many tanks are irregular in shape. I've been doing this for 19 years. http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,3841.0.html

If you don't have an hour meter, either keep track or install one, which is simpler and less expensive in the long run than fuel tank senders and gauges.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
I agree with Don for water tank sensors.
You have a 40 foot boat. You mos likely have more than one water tank. I have two - 28 gallons and 46 gallons. I use the big one, when it runs, out I switch over. Never run them both open at the same time. Sometimes I "lead" with the smaller tank. Who needs a gauge? Most of us sail where water is readily available.

Jan 12, 2016
Beneteau 311 Seattle, WA
I use ultrasonic NMEA 2000 tank sensors for my waste, water, and fuel tanks (https://sailbits.com/reviews/better-tank-monitoring/). I want the data on my NMEA 2000 network so I can see the levels wherever I am - convenient when you're dockside filling the water tanks and don't want to overfill. I also like having one on the waste tank so I know when I request a pump out, that it's been done when I return to the boat.

While I have one on the fuel tank, I use it only as another data point and use the hours method everyone else mentions above.

Aug 27, 2014
Beneteau 373 San Diego
I have been extremely happy with my simple system from Ferriello Sales:
http://www.ferriellosales.com/home.html
Installed the Profile Legacy 6 panel and the stick on the outside of the tank sensors. Works like a charm on my 2 water tanks and my waste tank. Water level is nice to know but better is knowing when the waste tank is getting up there. Also, easy to re calibrate if you need to. Maybe the most useful upgrade that I have done on my boat. Highly recommend.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
Gobius makes excellent water tank level sensors with a nice LED readout powered by a simple 12v connection...