Ft Lauderdale to the Keys and maybe bahamas on way back?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 19, 1999
Pearson Wanderer Titusville, Florida
Good comments by all, especially the description of what typically happens when a cold front passes across the Florida peninsula. The seven- to ten-day cycle is right on the money. After you've seen two or three fronts pass through, the pattern becomes readily apparent. On the Atlantic cost of Florida the first sign of an approaching cold front is the prevailing wind veering from east to southeast, then south and southwest It usually takes a couple of days. It's the change from SW to NW and then N as the front nears that is much faster and often accompanied by blustery winds and rain.

Cold fronts tend to be less severe after the first of the year, so you may want to postpone the Dry Tortugas until March when the weather is really nice and the anchorage offers better protection. Also, instead of trying to return to Key West against a strong headwind and waves, why not head for Ft. Myers instead (less than 20 hours) then take the Okeechobee Waterway back to Stuart?

jrhamp

Jul 26, 2011
Catalina 38' Key West (seasonal)
Sailing in and around Key West

I just purchased a MacGregor 26 and will be taking it down to Key West Naval Air Station (NAS) marina on 23 November. I fly into Miami on the 22nd.

Since your boat is a deeper keel boat..what I hear from others as I search out various topics on sailing in and around the Keys. What is most mentioned is the depth of the water and the changing bottom due to currents.

As such, prudence would indicate validated information on depth and such to insure you do not get hung up on a sandbar or coral reef somewhere.

The Mac is a swing keel water ballast boat with draft (with keel up) of only 11 inches.

If you have a CAC card current, you could take your boat to the NAS marina.

Try Google Earth for a picture of the marina located on the Bolsa Chica Key.
The marina is just down from the Highway along a deep trench from the Atlantic side leading due west (towards Highway 1).

Good luck/Randy
LSA Anaconda/Balad-2005; Paktia-Khost Province/Afghanistan/2003; Sudan/2002 and 2008; Uganda/2010

Well

First time sailboat owner here,

I spend a lot of time in Iraq working and understand that life is short and is meant to be enjoyed. So I find myself with a nice sized 40ft Hunter and plenty of things to see and do.

I've sailed my new boat twice with a combined total of 200 miles logged. One of them wasn't particularly easy due to a nasty weather front that was unavoidable, but at the same time it was enjoyable and I didn't find it particularly difficult or worrying - I'm not saying I'm a pro by any means.

I am back in the USA in October and I'm starting to plan some sailing.

I'm looking at sailing down to the Keys from Ft Lauderdale either in Oct or Beginning of Nov and finishing up in the Dry Tortugas before I about turn and sail back up.

Would be very much obliged to hear peoples experiences, advice and just general knowledge of where to go, the good anchorages, must see's etc.

I am researching this myself but from the horses mouth as they say is always the best :)

Thank you for your time

Kind Regards

Redunc

Status
Not open for further replies.