Ft Lauderdale to Baltimore

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mickey McHugh

We just completed the second leg of our cruise from Kemah Texas to Baltimore MD. The first leg was Kemah to Fort Lauderdale during the last 2 weeks of December with a rumline Gulf crossing from Galveston to the Dry Tortugas in 4 days 7 hours. Christmas was in Key West. We pulled into Baltimore Monday night about 9PM and it was 18 degrees. We were pushing through slush ice from Fort McHenry all the way to the Harbor View Marina in the inner harbor of Baltimore. The intial run from Fort Lauderdale started offshore in the Gulf Stream where we felt great catching a 2.5 knot current until midnight when the wind shifted to the north at 20 knots causing very steep seas forcing us into Fort Pierce at 2 in the morning. We ran up the ICW to St. Augustine where we laid over due to very foggy conditions. When the fog cleared at noon we headed back offshore where it again became very foggy. We were almost run down by a 25-foot fishing boat running at 20 knots in dense fog without radar! Debbie’s tracked him on our radar and realized he was moving fast and had a zero bearing rate. She used the air horn to warn him which diverted certain disaster. A weather forecast of a gale off of Cape Fear with northeast winds forced us into Charleston and then we stayed in the ICW to Norfolk. The ICW was a treat because there are no ocean swells or seas and you can pull over and stop when you get tired. But especially from 6PM until around midnight because there was zero traffic and you do not have to worry about passing/meeting situations. We anchored or found a fuel dock to tie up to when we stopped for some sleep until 6AM when we headed off again. We did bounce our VHF antenna on the under side of several high rise (65-foot) bridges in Florida. Yaga’s mast is 62.5 feet with a 3-foot antenna. Night sailing YAGA with her electronic charts, radar, 2,000,000-candle power spotlight and the best lookout/navigator/first mate any skipper could possibly have, was exciting. It was the only way we could have made the trip in just 11 days. We both really enjoyed the cruise and have gained valuable experience in the process. One thing we learned was how to stay warm in the middle of the night on a sailboat in January on the East Coast. Not an easy thing to do without a Genset. We are looking forward to a warm spring and long weekends exploring the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay. Mickey and Debbie S/V Yaga

L

LaDonna Bubak - CatalinaOwners

Thanks for the update

Sounds like a trip of memories made. LaDonna

R

Ron

Your Trip

Mickey, That was an amazing amount of real estate covered in only 11 days and going the wrong way to boot. How did you stay warm??? Ron

M

Mickey McHugh

HOW we stayed warm

If you make the choice to sail in the winter (most don’t) then you need to prepare your boat and yourself for some tuff times. The most important aspect of staying warm while underway is avoiding the wind. Wind chill factors are an obvious concern, especially after dark when the temp changes so quickly. Its one thing to walk out to your car when its 25 degrees and the wind is 20 MPH but try standing a long watch only now the wind is 27 MPH because your underway. Plus out on the open water the wind is always stronger than on land. You also have to stay dry. You will need the following: the proper layered clothing (winter skiing/camping/hunting stuff), the best gloves money can buy (mountain climber type), the best foul weather gear money can buy (even if you are not getting wet they provide a good wind break while still being breathable), the best wool socks money can buy (several pairs to allow rotation), a dodger to ‘hide’ behind (the bigger the better), a bimini also helps. Ours is connected to the dodger. an autopilot to allow you to ‘hide’ behind the dodger, crew to allow watch rotation as well as short trips below to take a break and get warm, hot food and drinks (cookies and candies while on watch are a good source of energy), a good place to sit (nice soft cushion or chair – we like the folding sport-a-seat) and finally but most important you need to be well rested. If you get tired, you get cold fast. Down below we don’t have a genset so we got our main source of heat from the engine compartment since we prefer to motor at night, we just opened the side access hatch (its was noisy but we got use to it). We also used a larger Trawler lamp for adding a little heat and light. We cooked every meal so that the stove added its share of heat below. I was worried about getting into a cold bed but sleeping turned out to be the easiest part. Debbie had just added a down comforter in Fort Lauderdale and it just took minutes to be warm and toasty. Get the best bedding money can buy. Sorry about telling you to spend all that money for the best stuff but you will thank me if you ever head out in below 40-degree weather. Hints: Cover all exposed skin. You should look like a mummy or a bank robber. Hug your self but occasionally get up and move around, work the fingers and toes as well. Wear mittens over standard sailing gloves. Take off the mittens to handle lines. If your sailing gloves get wet – take them off. Wet leather gloves will freeze the fingers quickly. If you have to handle the anchor take off your good gloves and use a pair of heavy leather work gloves. You will (or should be) drinking lots of fluids. Wear clothing that makes going to the head easy. Take frequent breaks and talk to the other crew. It takes your mind off the cold. If its raining or there is spray avoid it if possible. Its difficult to get dry when it cold. Watch out for ice on the decks during trips out of the cockpit. You should use a harness and jacklines all the time. Cold water is a quick killer. Hope this is helpful. Best advice is wait for spring, too bad I don’t plan to take my own advice. I may be sailing alone.

C

Carl & Jule

Wool=warmth

One other little note to add to that great list of staying warm ideas - wool is one of the few, if not the only material, which will maintian heat even when it is wet. So a good wool sweater, socks, etc. are vital in the winter marine enviroment... Jule & Carl

D

Don

Why'd you did it?

I dream of taking my boat from the Chesapeake (Annapolis) south for the winter. Why did you bring it to Baltimore for the winter?

M

Mickey McHugh

Debbie loves crab cakes

Don, I work for Fluor Daniel that gave me a temporary assignment at a vendor site in Columbia til June. It includes $96 per diem ($2880/month tax free) and 2 round trips to Houston per month. Total cost for 3 months at Harbor View marina slip was only $482.50 due to winter rates. We did the same thing 2 years ago with an 8 months assignment to Long Beach only we trucked Yaga there and back. Slip costs there was $503/month. We felt this would give us some cruising experience plus the chance to experience 'The Bay'. We think Baltimore and Annapolis are wonderful cities (we have been to 2 previous U.S. Boats Shows) and enjoy meeting sailors there. We didn't like the ideal of setting up an apartment or spending 5 grand to move Yaga by truck.

D

Don

Wow!

I call that great opportunity. Makes real good sense to me now. Wish I had that kind of flexibility. Will look you up sometime at the inner harbor.

Mar 21, 2004
Hunter 356 Cobb Island, MD
Be watching for you on the bay.

BTW there is a Hunter Rendezvous being planned for July 12-15 at Zahnisers Yaching Center, Solomons, MD look for information on Sailor to Sailor forum Subject is "Back to the Bay III" Jim S/V Java

T

Tom Koco

Fort Lauderdale to Baltimore

Great job and report...wish I could have been there. You'll certainly love the Chesapeake and its many offerings, too many to cover here and now. Pick up a Chesapeake Bay magazine which covers the 'Best of the Bay'; can't go wrong with the pollsters. The folks at Tidewater Yatch Sales in Havre de Grace are great, and are Hunter dealers as well. I learned to sail on the Bay out of Annapolis ,my favorite Bay town ,which I frequented alot while an architectural student in Wash. DC. Try Canters for crabs or O'Learys for great fish. I'm thinking about relocating my Hunter to the Bay from NJ. I hope to be in Baltimore toward the end of March to see Nanci Griffith perform. If you're interested, let us know. Finally, if you have any info on sailing the Keys, kindly pass it along per my request posted this day. Best of luck with this insane weather up here!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.