Front hatch for Catalina 22

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bob Finley

I have a 76 model Catalina 22 with no front deck hatch. I would like to install one for extra ventilation and possibly an extra exit. I have the following concerns about installing one: 1. Structural integrity 2. Additional deck clutter when working topside 3. losing an air trap which may keep the boat afloat bow up in case of capsize/knock down. 4. Which one to buy I am not sure when the front hatch became standard on the 22. I would appreciate hearing your comments on my questions/concerns above or any experiences that you have had. Thanks, Bob

B

Barry P. Broyles

Forward Hatch

Bob: My 1973 C22 has a factory installed front deck hatch. Are you sure there was never a hatch on yours (does it appear that the fore deck has been repaired?). You can add a hatch, there are many marine hatches available or you could get a standard pre 1985 C22 hatch cut the hole and make a lip around it with wood and fiberglass. If you are good with your hands it shouldn't be too hard. Barry Broyles C22 # 1909 "Brighteyes"

L

Lisa Woodburn

Stupid question from me

Hi, I have a '72 which comes with a forward hatch. Great for ventilation (especially long weekends in 100 degree summer temps with a porta potta in the V berth :) - but how would this assist to keeping the boat afloat in case of a knockdown/capsize? If the hatch were non-existent (which normally under sail I keep it locked down

B

Bob Finley

Good question!

I mentioned the idea of keeping the boat afloat because it came up in a discussion with a friend. He suggests that with the bow completely intact, there might be an air entrapment in the bow to keep the boat floating bow up long enough for you to salvage her without it going to the bottom. How likely is this? Anybody out there have any experience with this?

J

john renfro

hatch

helo bob, i also have a 1976 22 that has no front hatch. if you install a hatch, let us know how it went. john

Status
Not open for further replies.