FROM SARDINES TO YACHTS, BELFAST TRANSFORMS ITS WATERFRONT

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
The article did not indicate the influx of blue claw crab tomorrow. This migration in all likelihood will not happened within our lifetime, at least not mine but if the Gulf of Maine continues to increase in temperature more warm water species will move in. Which when looked at in that light makes me wonder why a company would want to invest all that money into salmon farming if the water temperatures are going to increase. Salmon is not a "warm water" fish.

Belfast the new Annapolis, God I hope not. I met three older couples that keep their boats in the harbor but had to sell their homes in Belfast due to property taxes becoming unsustainable. That makes it tough on the locals.
I've recently retired, my wife's a couple of years behind me. Her side of the family going back two generations has owned property in the Waldo/Belfast area so we've looked at real estate up that way. Much as we like the area, I can't afford the property taxes in that area. They're more than we pay here in NH which is the 3rd highest state in the country.
No doubt. Maine is a high tax state with income tax and high property tax on waterfront. Not a great place for retirement from a tax perspective. But the quality of life is high...if you live in Southern Maine, not so much for "the county"or Downeast. Where we lived, southern Maine was known as "..northern Massachusetts..":) We loved it though.