Friend needs help with Jeanneau S.O. 35 shift linkage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
One of the sailors in our marina had a little problem on Sunday morning. He tried to shift his engine/tranmission into neutral and nothing happened. Upon inspection, it appear that the cable is broken.

The setup is a little different on the Jeanneau. They have a rod connected to the shift mechanism, which we assume is connected to a cable below deck.

Does anyone have any experience with this type of a setup. We are trying to figure out what type/length of a cable is needed for the repair.

I believe this is a very similar setup to what they have on the Benneteau's too.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
I expect that it will be necessary to crawl in there and measure and look. Even if you get detailed advise from other owhers their setup may not be identical to the one in question.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
good friends have a 36.5 SO so I will forward this to him to see if he might be able to give any advice...

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Luz:

Thanks! There is not much out there on these "foreign" made boats. We are also trying to find some help from the factory, but these parts are no longer made....

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The Model "A" Ford had purely mechanical brakes with rod linkages to each wheel. I should think that a modern boat would have gotten past that design by now.

LuzSD

Feb 21, 2009
Catalina 30 San Diego/ Dana Point, Ca.
this is from our friend with the Jeanneau SO 36.5 year 2000... hope it is helpful!!!

That same thing happened, on my boat when it was juast a few months old.
The fix was replacing the shift cable. They are sold at West Marine and auto parts stores such as Orange Engine in Dana Point.
Unless you have some mechanical know how, it should be replaced by a Marine Tech.

Best Regards,

Capt Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.