Friday Morning Fun -Sailing a 310 to the Caribbean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
So I have been dreaming of sailing away. Sell almost everything I own, fit out the boat and head south (I am in the Boston area). Take my Bride, the dog and a boat and go to the Caribbean via the ICW and maybe beyond to Central/South American coast (Belize, Mexico, Panama, etc.). Lately, my Bride has seemed less opposed to this plan. Makes me think it may really happen. We will see.

So I have been thinking about what boat I would do it on. First, to me this would not be a true "blue water" trip. Sure, there would be some big sailing to cross to the island, between the islands and to the Central/South American coast. However, if you take time and pick your weather window right, I would classify this type of sailing as "aggressive coastal cruising". Second, from all that I have read you spend more time at anchor then actually sailing when you do a trip like this. (I don't have any personal experience sailing the Caribbean yet, but we have a charter booked in the BVIs in November.) So the boat needs to be comfortable at anchor. When I add up all of the "must haves" for both my Bride and I, the boats that fit the bill are either 40+ foot boats or our 310.

So now I am questioning if the 310 is capable of this trip. Many have done it in Catalina 27s and 30s; some of which were highly modified. I read this article about sailing a 320 from Savannah, GA to St. Thomas. In that article, they sailed a direct, non-stop 1,300 nm passage with a gulf stream crossing.

Here is the question, would you sail a 310 in the way I described above?

If you would, what modifications would you do before casting off?

Here is a list of the modifications I had in mind. These are in addition to normal maintenance items like replacing all of the running rigging, inspecting and replacing, if necessary, the standing rigging and rebedding all of the deck hardware (with butyl tape).

1. Motor - Since I purchased the boat I have replaced all of the hoses, changed to a Oberdorfer water pump, a K&N air filter, repaired a broken wet exhaust (I also carry a spare made out of black iron), flushed the antifreeze, checked the motor mounts and engine wire harness, new thermostat and all the typical oil changes, transmission fluid changes, zinc and impeller changes. This winter I plan to remove, clean and repaint the heat exchanger, upgrade the PCV valve, paint the motor, add a shut off valve at the Racor filter, change the drive belt, add an oil pressure gauge, change a few parts in the cooling system (pressure cap, air bleeder valve and temperature sender) and re-sound insulate the engine box.

Last year I had the cutlass bearing changed and I repacked the stuffing box this year but would consider going to a PSS for this trip. This would likely involve cutting the existing shaft out, getting a new shaft made and having it lap fitted to a new coupling and the prop. The main reason for this would be that I would want to change the stuffing box hose; it is original so over 10 years old.

I don't think there is anything else I would do to the engine other then go through my spares and make sure I had a good inventory of parts and supplies.

2. DC Electrical - Last year I replaced one of the 4D batteries and installed a new Xantrex Truecharge 2 battery charger. This winter I plan to change the fusing and charging distribution setup (possibly putting the two 4D batteries in parallel as a house bank and adding a starting battery), add a temperature sensor and remote panel to the chargers.

As far as upgrades for the trip, I would want to add a couple of solar panels, upgrade the alternator, and add a battery monitor. I would probably also get a small Honda generator (I think the e2000 with direct connection for the shore power system).

3. Electronics - I currently have an older Raymarine system that includes a combined radar display/chart plotter (gray scale), wind, depth and speed instruments, VHF with RAM mic at helm and a wheel autopilot. I don't use the chart plotter for navigation, I use my Garmin hand held, paper charts and compass. I also usually carry my cellphone, tablet and laptop all of which have Navionics or equivalent. I would get a puck GPS for the laptop/tablet as a cheap backup. Also, all the paper charts for the areas I would go plus a cheap plastic sextant.

As far as upgrages, I can go two ways. Both would involve converting the wheel autopilot to a below deck unit. Option 1, keep all of the components the same other than the autopilot, get a second Garmin hand held, a sat phone, a "in reach" or "spot", and a hand held VHF. Option 2, change the chart plotter and radar to a new Garmin HD unit, change the autopilot, get a sat phone, a "in read" or "spot", and a hand held VHF.

4. Sails - My mainsail has two reef points and is in good condition. I have a 135 Genny in good condition. I have been thinking of adding luff foam to the 135 genny to help with reefed sail shape.

Upgrades: new mainsail with 3 reef points and gail sail.

5. Emergency Equipment - I have a full stack of plugs, epoxy, life jackets, flares, etc. most in a ditch bag. I don't have harness and jacklines but plan to add this year.

Upgrades: sea anchor/drogue, some "D" ring connection points in the cockpit, new life lines.

6. Anchoring - This year I upgraded to a 35 lb Manson Supreme on 30 ft of chain and 200 feet of rope. I don't have the chain gypsey on the windless.

Upgrades: new windless with chain gypsey, add 70 feet of chain to the Manson, add two 22 lb danforth anchors (one in the anchor locker and one at the stern) with 30 feet of chain and 200 ft of rope. Maybe one of the anchor sails and snubbers.

7. Comforts - We already have a grill set up with a second propane tank, stereo, TV with DVD player on inverter, and other basic stuff.

Upgrades: water maker, yetty ice box, portable ice maker, foot pump for fresh water, 2 kindles, dinghy davits and salt water deck wash down.

Let me know what you think. I should get back to work now or I won't be able to afford this list :doh:.

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
As far as upgrages, I can go two ways. Both would involve converting the wheel autopilot to a below deck unit. Option 1, keep all of the components the same other than the autopilot, get a second Garmin hand held, a sat phone, a "in reach" or "spot", and a hand held VHF. Option 2, change the chart plotter and radar to a new Garmin HD unit, change the autopilot, get a sat phone, a "in read" or "spot", and a hand held VHF.
JK

Spot is nice but if you plan on doing this, go with a real EPIRB. I have a Spot and use it regularly but on a big trip like this I would buy (or rent if it was a one time trip) the EPIRB. Sat phone is a good move too since you may want to keep in touch with family/friends along the way or you may need emergency assistance. Consider getting a license (if needed....I think it may be) and using a SSB also. Just a few thoughts.

Since my plan (retirement in 4 or 9 years....depending on some outside and career influences) is very similar to yours, I will be following this post very closely. My wife and I are actively planning now since we have a decent amount of time to do it. One of our plans is to sell the 310 and go with a slightly larger (36-38ft) boat designed for liveaboard and crusing, though. If you head out before we do, make sure one of your stops is in AC on the way south!!!

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
For me... not in this boat. For extended cruising it will be tough to not get caught with your pants down. Think a heaver boat under 10yrs old, shoal or full keel, cutter rigged, keeps the center of gravity close. My favorite would be a Caliber 35LRC, but hard to find used.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
JK

Spot is nice but if you plan on doing this, go with a real EPIRB. I have a Spot and use it regularly but on a big trip like this I would buy (or rent if it was a one time trip) the EPIRB. Sat phone is a good move too since you may want to keep in touch with family/friends along the way or you may need emergency assistance. Consider getting a license (if needed....I think it may be) and using a SSB also. Just a few thoughts.

Since my plan (retirement in 4 or 9 years....depending on some outside and career influences) is very similar to yours, I will be following this post very closely. My wife and I are actively planning now since we have a decent amount of time to do it. One of our plans is to sell the 310 and go with a slightly larger (36-38ft) boat designed for liveaboard and crusing, though. If you head out before we do, make sure one of your stops is in AC on the way south!!!
I will have to think about the spot and sat phone versus an EPIRB. My thought was that both spot or in-reach has coverage where I will be and an "SOS" feature. I imagine there is some small delay in the notification of help, but I didn't consider that significant.

I have thought about a bigger boat, but what 36 footer is a comfortable as the 310? None have a center line, walk around berth and most have galleys that aren't as well set up as the 310. And from what I have read, you spend most of your time at anchor when you do this kind of sailing so it is important to be comfortable. My wife has pretty much already said that anything is out that requires one of us to climb over the other to get in and out of bed.

See my response to Witz below on boat size thoughts.

My hope is to leave no later than my 40th birthday (June 26th, 2015). But there is a lot to do before that could happen. Settle on a boat, sell the house, probably re-convince the wife several times, etc. Hopefully I will be seeing you in AC before we know it.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
For me... not in this boat. For extended cruising it will be tough to not get caught with your pants down. Think a heaver boat under 10yrs old, shoal or full keel, cutter rigged, keeps the center of gravity close. My favorite would be a Caliber 35LRC, but hard to find used.
I don't disagree that the Caliber 35LRC is a tougher built, better equipped boat for bluewater sailing. But let's not forget that "LRC" stands for Long Range Cruiser. I'm not talking about crossing oceans. It is also substantially more expensive boat. So when you are talking about budgeting for a trip like this, if you spend that much more on the boat it means less time out there.

For instance, I paid $63K for my 2001 310. The only 35LRC on Yatchworld is a 1994 and is listed at $89K (sale pending by the way). So that is a $26K difference. For that money I would get 5 more gallons of water, 3 more gallons of fuel and 26 more gallons of waste. I would have a less comfortable V berth and a less comfortable space for friends to come and visit. The galley has a smaller, top loading only refer and less storage space. The cockpit is smaller and doesn't have as good access to the swim ladder. The hot water heater is 6 gallons instead of 20. And less access to the engine for performing routine maintenance. Most of the upgrades I have listed above would still need to be made, so the fit out cost would be the same. And at the cost of an additional $26K, that would mean about a year and a half less time cruising. And I think this might just be the 35 model and the LRC would be more.

I would also have a boat that is way overbuilt for the type of sailing we are talking about. The trip I am talking about is a bunch of short jumps. Even the jump documented in that article on the 320 was less than 2 weeks and they went straight from Georgia to the USVIs. Hell, there are many people talking similar boats on southern Atlantic crossings.

I think the real key to this trip would be to find the least expensive, most comfortable boat that requires the least amount of maintenance. I don't want to be down in the Caribbean sanding and sealing teak all the time. That is why I am looking at production boats. Some of the boats high on my list were the Catalina 380s and 400s and the Jeanneau 42s. Would you take those boats to the Caribbean?

The more I looked at these, the more I came to think that the only real differences between them and the 310 is LWL and tankage. The LWL will definitely make those boats more comfortable on the few jumps necessary for the trip; but is it a necessity? Again, people have sailed worse in lesser boats. So besides comfort, what would the additional LWL get me: more storage; more tankage; higher costs for maintenance, dockage, etc.; more systems to maintain, etc. I don't want the higher costs or more maintenance time. For lack of storage, learn to carry less. For the lack of tankage, carry some cans on deck with fuel and water, add a water maker, add some additional tanks.

I guess the whole point of my post is an exercise to see if I can maximize my cruising kitty by staying with the 310. Can this be done with an exceptable level of risk? Granted I am no where near the sailor that Mainesail is, but I believe he took his 310 to Halifax, NS. Is that really any different then a jump to the Caribbean?

gpd955

Feb 22, 2006
Catalina 310 Cape May, NJ
I will have to think about the spot and sat phone versus an EPIRB. My thought was that both spot or in-reach has coverage where I will be and an "SOS" feature. I imagine there is some small delay in the notification of help, but I didn't consider that significant.
The other reasons for an EPIRB is automatic activation in an emergency where you can't get to it, are debilitated or the boat goes down fast. And once the EPIRB is activated, it sends a continuous signal to help locate you, where Spot will only send the mesage when you press the button. I have a Spot and like it but if I were going somewhere for an extended period or distance where conditions and weather change fast, I'd want an EPIRB as well. Nice thing about Spot is that if you leave the boat for a hike or excursion, it can be used on land as well as on water. I don't know what the delay is since I never hit the emergency button but I do know that the "OK" message sending button takes up to 15 minutes to get to my phone.

My hope is to leave no later than my 40th birthday (June 26th, 2015). But there is a lot to do before that could happen. Settle on a boat, sell the house, probably re-convince the wife several times, etc. Hopefully I will be seeing you in AC before we know it.
You'll have a pretty good jump on us!! Luckily I don't have to convince my wife. I think if I came home from work and told her that I quit, lets put the house up and get on the water, she'd be right there. I still have to finish with my daughter's college though and my son's hockey (not much of that in the Caribbean)!! She's done this year I hope and as far as the 9 year old goes, he's already been told that when he graduates (the same year I retire at full pension) he can sign with an NHL team, join the military, or come sailing! After this season, and his discovery of his ability to sail a 31 foot boat, and his desire to be in the Caribbean, I may definitley need a bigger boat!!

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
You can certainly safely travel through the Caribbean in your 31, but I don't think you will be happy with it. To explore the islands and provision in semi-comfort, you need a big, fast dingy. Most cruisers will have a 10hp and maybe a 4hp for a backup. You'll be amazed how much time you will spend away from your boat in the dingy. I think the weight of the dingy, motor, and fuel tank on davits will affect the trim of your boat. Adding anchor chain, fuel and water jugs, hundreds of pounds of canned goods, spare parts, solar panels, wind generator, honda 2000, etc, etc will put your well below your water line.

You might think that a slow boat is no big deal. Like, who's in a hurry.... You'll find though that during most of the tougher passages that you will be sailing with other cruisers and you will definitely be the slowest boat in the bunch and will quickly loose vhf contact with the group. You will be out in the weather longer and be forced to make more overnight passages. Also, you will be motor sailing most of the way to the Virgins because of the easterly trade winds.

If I were going to cruise the Caribbean again, and was on a budget, I would look for a thirty year old boat, 38' - 42', 50 hp engine, has been lived aboard as a cruising boat, and has been well maintained.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Ah, what a great dream. You may want to consider renting your house instead of selling it, you can always do so later if you find the "life" is for you.

We had a skipper who sailed his C34 from Vancouver, BC down to Mexico. His reports are here, should be very helpful to you in terms of prioritizing. IIRC, his three biggies: spares, solar and a watermaker.

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5270.0.html

Happy dreaming.

Feb 26, 2004
witz, that's a great link. But, there is so much material there (a 200 page entire book!) can you be more specific about your following quartering seas reference? And, of course, quartering seas in ANY boat will always s*ck. :)

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Yea Stu, I have my dink on a set and with the extra weight in the rear this boat is barely manageable in 20Knts with a quarter 3' following sea, can't imagine running her in anything nastier. She would roll too easily. If you want to go off shore in my mine you really need to be prepared.

My point with the link is:

Matthew and Gail I believe have given the necessary time though and capital to pull off a trip like this. Anything less is not being responsible to the people that care about you.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Witzend said:
Yep, load the 310 up and get yourself in a good blow with a following sea on your quarter and you gonna wish otherwise.
You also may want to read this guys account of his trip.
http://cblights.com/cruising/alisios.html
I will defiantly read that blog. But I am still of the mind set that sailing to the Caribbean and other local waters in a Caliber 35 LRC is a little like hunting rabbits with a 50 cal sniper rifle. Sure it can do that job but it is over kill.

I am also not convinced that the 310 is capable either. But I would not hesitate in some of the other boats I have in mind, like the Catalina 380 or 400.

By the way, you have already hit on my biggest concern with the 310, the storage capacity. I am not really concerned about the size, just the amount of weight we can fit on her. My wife and I could easily live in that a mount of space. We have for two summers now. And our summers are from mid April through late November in new England.

This question has been great in helping me figure out some of the answers.

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Stu, where was this in New Zealand?
I wonder if this was home port for of Oceania?
Interesting solar cell panel mounts, welded directly to the existing railing. The dink arrangement would help some by putting the weight a little closer. I wonder where he keeps his motor. Looks like a big grill as well?

Feb 26, 2004
It was in a harbor right outside of Picton, north end of the South Island.

Mar 6, 2009
Catalina 310 Dunedin, Fl
Friday Morning Fun

So I have been dreaming of sailing away. Sell almost everything I own, fit out the boat and head south (I am in the Boston area). Take my Bride, the dog and a boat and go to the Caribbean via the ICW and maybe beyond to Central/South American coast (Belize, Mexico, Panama, etc.). Lately, my Bride has seemed less opposed to this plan. Makes me think it may really happen. We will see.

So I have been thinking about what boat I would do it on. First, to me this would not be a true "blue water" trip. Sure, there would be some big sailing to cross to the island, between the islands and to the Central/South American coast. However, if you take time and pick your weather window right, I would classify this type of sailing as "aggressive coastal cruising". Second, from all that I have read you spend more time at anchor then actually sailing when you do a trip like this. (I don't have any personal experience sailing the Caribbean yet, but we have a charter booked in the BVIs in November.) So the boat needs to be comfortable at anchor. When I add up all of the "must haves" for both my Bride and I, the boats that fit the bill are either 40+ foot boats or our 310.

So now I am questioning if the 310 is capable of this trip. Many have done it in Catalina 27s and 30s; some of which were highly modified. I read this article about sailing a 320 from Savannah, GA to St. Thomas. In that article, they sailed a direct, non-stop 1,300 nm passage with a gulf stream crossing.

Here is the question, would you sail a 310 in the way I described above?

If you would, what modifications would you do before casting off?

Here is a list of the modifications I had in mind. These are in addition to normal maintenance items like replacing all of the running rigging, inspecting and replacing, if necessary, the standing rigging and rebedding all of the deck hardware (with butyl tape).

1. Motor - Since I purchased the boat I have replaced all of the hoses, changed to a Oberdorfer water pump, a K&N air filter, repaired a broken wet exhaust (I also carry a spare made out of black iron), flushed the antifreeze, checked the motor mounts and engine wire harness, new thermostat and all the typical oil changes, transmission fluid changes, zinc and impeller changes. This winter I plan to remove, clean and repaint the heat exchanger, upgrade the PCV valve, paint the motor, add a shut off valve at the Racor filter, change the drive belt, add an oil pressure gauge, change a few parts in the cooling system (pressure cap, air bleeder valve and temperature sender) and re-sound insulate the engine box.

Last year I had the cutlass bearing changed and I repacked the stuffing box this year but would consider going to a PSS for this trip. This would likely involve cutting the existing shaft out, getting a new shaft made and having it lap fitted to a new coupling and the prop. The main reason for this would be that I would want to change the stuffing box hose; it is original so over 10 years old.

I don't think there is anything else I would do to the engine other then go through my spares and make sure I had a good inventory of parts and supplies.

2. DC Electrical - Last year I replaced one of the 4D batteries and installed a new Xantrex Truecharge 2 battery charger. This winter I plan to change the fusing and charging distribution setup (possibly putting the two 4D batteries in parallel as a house bank and adding a starting battery), add a temperature sensor and remote panel to the chargers.

As far as upgrades for the trip, I would want to add a couple of solar panels, upgrade the alternator, and add a battery monitor. I would probably also get a small Honda generator (I think the e2000 with direct connection for the shore power system).

3. Electronics - I currently have an older Raymarine system that includes a combined radar display/chart plotter (gray scale), wind, depth and speed instruments, VHF with RAM mic at helm and a wheel autopilot. I don't use the chart plotter for navigation, I use my Garmin hand held, paper charts and compass. I also usually carry my cellphone, tablet and laptop all of which have Navionics or equivalent. I would get a puck GPS for the laptop/tablet as a cheap backup. Also, all the paper charts for the areas I would go plus a cheap plastic sextant.

4. Sails - My mainsail has two reef points and is in good condition. I have a 135 Genny in good condition. I have been thinking of adding luff foam to the 135 genny to help with reefed sail shape.

Upgrades: new mainsail with 3 reef points and gail sail.

5. Emergency Equipment - I have a full stack of plugs, epoxy, life jackets, flares, etc. most in a ditch bag. I don't have harness and jacklines but plan to add this year.

Upgrades: sea anchor/drogue, some "D" ring connection points in the cockpit, new life lines.

6. Anchoring - This year I upgraded to a 35 lb Manson Supreme on 30 ft of chain and 200 feet of rope. I don't have the chain gypsey on the windless.

Upgrades: new windless with chain gypsey, add 70 feet of chain to the Manson, add two 22 lb danforth anchors (one in the anchor locker and one at the stern) with 30 feet of chain and 200 ft of rope. Maybe one of the anchor sails and snubbers.

7. Comforts - We already have a grill set up with a second propane tank, stereo, TV with DVD player on inverter, and other basic stuff.

Upgrades: water maker, yetty ice box, portable ice maker, foot pump for fresh water, 2 kindles, dinghy davits and salt water deck wash down.

Let me know what you think. I should get back to work now or I won't be able to afford this list :doh:.

I recommend KEEP IT SIMPLE!!!!
The more mechanical gadgets you add to the boat, the more time you will spend doing maintenance and fixing broken things.
Definitely safety should be the prime concern. An EPIRB is a good idea.

My wife and I just came back from a week of bareboat chartering in the BVI. You will find that water and ice can be purchased almost anywhere.

The generator sounds like a good idea, but then you will need to carry gasoline in addition to diesel.

Read all you can about sailing in the tropics, I recommend "Fair Winds and Far Places" by Zane B. Mann. It is a little outdated, but will give you an idea of what to expect.

We also tried that idea at one time Launched a home-made Bruce Roberts 36 in 1982 and came down the ICW (8 month cruise) with my wife and two children and one dog. Had to stop in Miami and cancel the islands cruise due to health issues (my father's). Our boat was simplicity itself. No shore power, other that a drop cord; no air conditioning, kerosene anchor light and interior lights, except in the galley.

I like the idea of heading south in the ICW. Good shake-down cruise! This will be an eye opener to life aboard. Since you are planning "aggressive coastal cruising", I guess you will hop to the Bahamas first. By choosing your cruising window, you can avoid nasty weather, and won't need heavy weather sails. Besides, the Catalina 310 gets very tender in winds over 15 knots. I would certainly take my 310 (sail 215) over to the Bahamas. I find it to be a very cozy boat in case you need to spend a few days hunkered down in a quiet anchorage.

We are now retired, but found the Catalina 310 to be a very good boat for the type of cruising you are planning. Once in the islands you can sail from one destination to another in a matter of a few hours.

Finally, you trip south on the ICW will also tell you if you must have the creature comforts of water maker and ice maker. I think you can do away without them, and then spend the money in a nice marina every once in a while to splurge in showers and a good meal ashore. Your first mate will appreciate the thoughtfulness and will want to continue on your trek.

Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.