• Mobile App For Android Now Online!

Download it here. The app is searchable in the Google Play Store under Sailboat Owners.

Sorry iPhone/iPad users, we are still waiting on Apple. :(

Click the X in the upper right corner to make this go away

Freshwater Anode Magnesium

Daron

May 7, 2019
Hunter H27 LKN
Hi, my 82 Hunter 27 with a yanmar 1gm is on a freshwater lake in NC. Does anyone have ideas to use a magnesium anode for this engine. I read that zinc is not really effective for freshwater. Any ideas or advice??

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Hunter 30 Snug Harbor, Lake Champlain
That is what is recommended for fresh water. You are on the right path.

dj

Daron

May 7, 2019
Hunter H27 LKN
Thanks for the reply. It does not look like Yanmar or boatzincs.com makes a magnesium anode for the 1gm. Anybody make a diy magnesium anode??

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 San Francisco Bay's "Hurricane Glitch"
Just to clarify. Are you asking about the anode that actually mounts onto the engine? Or about the anode that mounts to the prop shaft?

Firstly, a disclaimer. I am not an expert on this topic.

If the engine does require a anode in lake water, it is probably a large diameter pencil zinc that screws into the mounting plug. This will be a generic item. Not necessarily Yanmar specific.

As this is a "every engine", question, rather than "Yanmar specific", maybe to go to the local ski boat engine repair maintenance shop and ask their opinion. Or call up these folks:

https://www.boatzincs.com/engine-magnesium.html

Marine grade aluminum anodes are also approved for fresh (lake) water. Likely likely would be able to locate one.

Lastly if your 1GM engine is anti-freeze cooled, rather than raw lake water, an engine anode definitely is not necessary.