Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
That’s what I found out during my research so far. Not much older boats out there with cooling and heating in the smaller sized options.
I suggested 28’ for the space needed. You can add an AC unit to a boat. But I would recommend you use it only when plugged into shore power.
I’ve done a lot of week long trips in my boats. For me, The AC is only a factor if you are in the slip. If you anchor out you usually have a breeze and a wind scoop on the front hatch keeps the boat cool at night (but you will need citronella candles). At the dock there is often less wind and more bugs so you plug into shore power. You can add AC to a boat but you need the space. I have a portable AC unit on my H26 but it is tight and if I’m planning on anchoring out I leave it in my truck

img_1641.jpg
img_1636.jpg

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Hi and welcome aboard. I’m actually now in your backyard having recently moved to Covington from the Houston area. I grew up sailing on Lake P and know the area well and also boats in your range. Currently the owner of a 31’ monohull. Please send me a private message on this forum and we can connect and discuss further what you are looking for. There are several sailors on thus forum who have boats on both the north and south shores of Lake Pontchartrain And can also be a good resource for you.
Jerry, is making you a very nice offer. He is a certified sailing instructor, a knowledge sailor as well as a gentleman and a scholar. You should take him up on his generous offer.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
First, welcome to the forum. Here, you will find a wealth of information about sailing and maintaining boats. You will also get diverse opinions, that can be a good thing; however it can be somewhat confusing to those new to sailing. Seems like the advice to new sailors falls into two categories: First, buy a small “beater boat”, read a book & watch some videos & go out and teach yourself to sail. Second, read books & sign up for structured sailing lessons under the tuteledge of a knowledgeable instructor. I advise lessons for both you & the wife. I can’t began to tell you how many times husbands have totally turned off their wives to sailing because they found themselves in conditions in which they weren’t knowledgeable & experienced enough to handle. I plead guilty to the latter scenario. So, before you buy your first boat, take some lessons. In our region, I would seek lessons from Lanier Sailing in Pensacola. I know those folks personally and highly recommend their program. They have been teaching over 20 years and run a first class operation. I chartered cruising yachts from them for many years, unfortunately they dicontinued that part of the business. After completing the basic course, you can charter their Catalina 22s & 25s to gain more experience and to develop a basis for purchasing your own boat. Unfortunately, the yacht club in Slidell does not offer sailing instruction to adults, so no help there. Again, check out Lanier Pensacola’s website and speak to John or Kathy about their program. In my opinion, that would be the better manner for you & your wife to learn to sail. After you obtain some experience y’all can enjoy sailing your own boat to some of the destinations on Lake Pontchartrain as well as the Gulf Coast.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
One last thought, think Ericson. Even their 27' boat was designed as a blue water, ocean passage boat. When I was in my teen's - high school - sailing with my friend, we both thought the Ericsons where the the cat's meow. Over 6' you will be hard pressed to find a boat in your price with more than 6'2" head room. Ericsons will be no different. They are narrow beamed, low displacement hulls (defining that description to mean their draft verses freeboard. There's more hull in the water for their draft than most boats, short keels. Yet, the freeboard from the bow to the stern has a striking shear.) I looked at an Ericson 27, but the work need put her in the water was more than I was ready to deal with.

A boat neighbor has a late seventies Ericson 27, been sail though out the Gulf as well as Lake Erie. Seaworthy as hell. I was with him on a trip to Kelly's Island. 4 to 6 foot rollers with a stiff 20 knots. I never felt nervous about the trip there and back.

As far as a brand, that's what I would suggest looking at, a seventies era Ericson.
Thank you, Red Dog, this is an invaluable addition to your initial thoughts and I appreciate your input. During my research for available boats in my area (100 miles West and East from New Orleans) I couldn’t find Erickson sailboats, but I will surely pay more intention and look deeper into that. Many thanks!

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Hi Klaussic, I live in Slidell and belong to Tammany Yacht Club. When things return to normal (whenever that is) we could probably arrange for adult sailing lessons, and also get you aboard a few different boats so you can see what they're like in reality.

I was just wondering, have either of you ever actually been on a sailboat? I ask because some people just never get used to the way the boat heels over. As far as draft goes, around here less is better unless you are racing. 6 feet is about all you want, and 5 is better. A/C is nice to have, but if you want it when away from shore power, that is a much more complicated situation. It is just barely doable to run a window A/C from a portable generator, but I wouldn't recommend it, between exhaust fumes and having to carry gasoline on the boat. The best solution is a permanently mounted A/C system in the boat, along with a permanently installed diesel generator. Truthfully, that is probably not going to happen in your size and price range.

In the boat age range you are contemplating, I wouldn't get too hung up on specific brands. What is really going to matter is the condition of the particular boat you are looking at, and the level of upkeep it has had. This especially goes for the engine, which will be getting kind of old, and will cost as much as the boat is worth to replace. Water leaking into balsa cored decks is another expensive fix.

Whenever we can get out and about again, try to get in touch with some of us sailors at the yacht club (I'm assuming you live in Eden Isles) and we'd be glad to help you along your journey.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
In the boat age range you are contemplating, I wouldn't get too hung up on specific brands. What is really going to matter is the condition of the particular boat you are looking at, and the level of upkeep it has had. This especially goes for the engine, which will be getting kind of old, and will cost as much as the boat is worth to replace. Water leaking into balsa cored decks is another expensive fix.
Definitely agree with Sandy's advice. When you are ready for a boat, as a practical matter, you are going to be restricted to boats on the Northern Gulf Coast. So, the closer the proximity to home, the better. It costs about $5K to decommission a boat, trailer it to your destination, and have it recommissioned (unless a trailerable boat). So, you find the best boat available, that fits your needs, & budget, as close as possible to home.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
I was just wondering, have either of you ever actually been on a sailboat? I ask because some people just never get used to the way the boat heels over.
This is a great point. Also, the motion is entirely different than a planing powerboat. Several of our powerboat friends had great difficulty the first few times out - heeling and motion issues. The Admiral is still not crazy about anything over 15 degrees heel, but she no longer leaves teeth marks in the helm station... Lessons and experience will probably help with heelaphobia. Fortunately, my Admiral has a cast iron stomach. She can stay below in a bad roll for extended periods to get snacks, drinks, meals, etc.

One other point is, make sure to "test drive" the head on boats you are looking at (figuratively speaking). Get in there and size up what doing your business and taking a shower is like. Ditto the Admiral. If you want to do extended Cruising, or even frequent overnights, the head could be an important issue.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
Hi Klaussic, I live in Slidell and belong to Tammany Yacht Club. When things return to normal (whenever that is) we could probably arrange for adult sailing lessons, and also get you aboard a few different boats so you can see what they're like in reality.

I was just wondering, have either of you ever actually been on a sailboat? I ask because some people just never get used to the way the boat heels over. As far as draft goes, around here less is better unless you are racing. 6 feet is about all you want, and 5 is better. A/C is nice to have, but if you want it when away from shore power, that is a much more complicated situation. It is just barely doable to run a window A/C from a portable generator, but I wouldn't recommend it, between exhaust fumes and having to carry gasoline on the boat. The best solution is a permanently mounted A/C system in the boat, along with a permanently installed diesel generator. Truthfully, that is probably not going to happen in your size and price range.

Whenever we can get out and about again, try to get in touch with some of us sailors at the yacht club (I'm assuming you live in Eden Isles) and we'd be glad to help you along your journey.
Hello Sandy,

Many thanks for your reply, it feels good to have a neighbor in this forum. It is great to read though your recommendations and it definitely will help getting a healthier mindset about the adventure to purchase a boat, and then ultimately to operate one.
We surely can get together at the Yacht Club once this COVID-19 situation is all over or at least well-contained and cured without taking the risk of contagion. I love my good health and my life. And yes, my wife and I live in Eden Isle, which makes it easier to jump on the boat after work or on the weekend and get out on the lake.

You are making a great point (having ever been on a sailboat), and the correct answer would be: No. I was operating a couple of power boats which I love to do and made even a trip from Eden Isle to Biloxi in a windy summer afternoon. The fact that sailboats are leaning to one side or the other won’t refrain us from going. It is surely quite different, but my wife and I like also the curvy roads when we ride our motorcycle.

We will follow your kind advice and reach out to the St. Tammany Yacht Club once it is safe to do so.

Thank you very much again and enjoy a great weekend!

Jan 19, 2010
If heeling becomes a real issue... try sailing on a catamaran. That solves space issues, draft issue and heeling issues. But they tend to cost more.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
One other point is, make sure to "test drive" the head on boats you are looking at (figuratively speaking). Get in there and size up what doing your business and taking a shower is like. Ditto the Admiral. If you want to do extended Cruising, or even frequent overnights, the head could be an important issue.
Oh yes. Marine heads typically have small round bowl. Perfectly acceptable for a small person or infrequent use by someone larger. Up until recently we were planning on a year long cruise and I thought about the head. There's a standard sized bowl in a box in my living room, waiting for the marina to open.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
This is a great point. Also, the motion is entirely different than a planing powerboat. Several of our powerboat friends had great difficulty the first few times out - heeling and motion issues. The Admiral is still not crazy about anything over 15 degrees heel, but she no longer leaves teeth marks in the helm station... Lessons and experience will probably help with heelaphobia. Fortunately, my Admiral has a cast iron stomach. She can stay below in a bad roll for extended periods to get snacks, drinks, meals, etc.

Jim,
Great points! I have been concerned about the head and shower more than anything due to my physical size. My wife fits in a glove box and doesn’t have that issue. And I have a good feeling about the heeling of a sailboat and would not make that a major concern for now. But it is surely a good idea to try it out first and see if we both are capable of keeping the breakfast inside with 3 or 4 feet waves.
Blessings and be safe!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
WELCOME Klaussic.. I don't have much to add that has not been covered.. My boat has a 5 foot 5inch draft and it may be a bit deep (maybe a foot?) for the gulf coast.. Not bad in the Poncho-Train but out on the Miss Gulf islands, it keeps ya a bit offshore when anchored..
We used a small window (like 6000BTU) AC in the companionway door for a while and that works well except for it kinda makes accessing the cabin a little awkward; but it works fine at night (on shore power)..
We have a fine place to sail and gunkhole both inside the Pontchartrain (Bayou Lacombe, Tchefuncta River, Bayou Liberty, etc) and on the Gulf Islands, as well as Gulfport, Biloxi, Pensacola, etc..) Great places to sail..

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
If heeling becomes a real issue... try sailing on a catamaran. That solves space issues, draft issue and heeling issues. But they tend to cost more.
A catamaran is my dream and would be a far better fit. But it requires either a nice inheritance from a rich auntie, a powerball jackpot or selling everything we have and live on the boat. I am not giving up just yet on making that dream come true. Not a viable option for another couple of years, though.

Jan 19, 2010
A catamaran is my dream and would be a far better fit. But it requires either a nice inheritance from a rich auntie, a powerball jackpot or selling everything we have and live on the boat. I am not giving up just yet on making that dream come true. Not a viable option for another couple of years, though.
Nah...

Look here

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
Definitely agree with Sandy's advice. When you are ready for a boat, as a practical matter, you are going to be restricted to boats on the Northern Gulf Coast. So, the closer the proximity to home, the better. It costs about $5K to decommission a boat, trailer it to your destination, and have it recommissioned (unless a trailerable boat). So, you find the best boat available, that fits your needs, & budget, as close as possible to home.
Yes, Big Easy, that’s the idea. But every time I look through the local offers and compare those to other regions, I have the impression that in Louisiana people think their boats are worth more on an average than in Alabama or Florida Panhandle. If I can find a great boat in Destin In example that is in good conditions and at a decent price, I may find a nice fellow sailor who would be willing to sail it home to Slidell with me. That of course wouldn’t work for a boat moored in Michigan or California. I also think that a walk through local marinas would reveal more than Facebook and Craigslist could offer. But I will wait for that till COVID-19 has gone.
Many thanks again for sharing your thought, much obliged!

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
6' plus and upper 200 is good info. Definitely puts you out of the sunfish starter boat category. How is your agility, strength, etc?

Handling the 24 ft Larsen, docking, etc. is also good info.

Do you or your Admiral suffer from any motion sickness?
Hey Jim,
I have so many messages coming in and must apologize if one or the other escapes my attention. I don’t know if I had answered to yours, but I can not recall having had any motion sickness on any boat in my life. My Admiral is usually very insensitive to that as well and should be a rising concern. But we will definitely try to make a test ride within the Club to see if our assumption can be confirmed during the practice.
And yes, my body style of elephantine proportions might cause me some discomfort on tiny boats, although I would consider those a wiser choice when starting this hobby from scratch and learning the lines and sheets as a brutal beginner.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
Nah...

Look here

Interesting boat at a very affordable price tag. But the size would still somewhat concern me. The fact you throw this in as a good example that Cats must not necessarily be more expensive is surely appreciated. But the cheapest Catamaran in this area was beyond $70K for a Gemini 105, and there is a 1991 Gemini 3200 offered for $47K, which remains still beyond my budget. However, I will keep looking for a nice cat one day and might find it with patience and a more adjusted budget.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
I suggested 28’ for the space needed. You can add an AC unit to a boat. But I would recommend you use it only when plugged into shore power.
I’ve done a lot of week long trips in my boats. For me, The AC is only a factor if you are in the slip. If you anchor out you usually have a breeze and a wind scoop on the front hatch keeps the boat cool at night (but you will need citronella candles). At the dock there is often less wind and more bugs so you plug into shore power. You can add AC to a boat but you need the space. I have a portable AC unit on my H26 but it is tight and if I’m planning on anchoring out I leave it in my truck

View attachment 177667View attachment 177668
I fully agree, shore power is the option for a smaller boat. And I have shore power and I have a little A/C unit I can squeeze in when the boat is at the dock. But my purpose of an A/C is to stay cool and locked up when anchoring or mooring somewhere else without buying so much bug spray and keep sweating during the night. It is not easy to make these compromises. And that triggers the need for a good-working and fixed installed diesel generator with a fixed installed A/C unit, which is very hard to find on boats under 30’, and I would even dare to say under 36’ / 38’.
Ufff, so many thoughts and considerations when getting into sailing! But thankfully, there are nice people like ya’ll that makes the brainstorming session somewhat easier.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
WELCOME Klaussic.. I don't have much to add that has not been covered.. My boat has a 5 foot 5inch draft and it may be a bit deep (maybe a foot?) for the gulf coast.. Not bad in the Poncho-Train but out on the Miss Gulf islands, it keeps ya a bit offshore when anchored..
We used a small window (like 6000BTU) AC in the companionway door for a while and that works well except for it kinda makes accessing the cabin a little awkward; but it works fine at night (on shore power)..
We have a fine place to sail and gunkhole both inside the Pontchartrain (Bayou Lacombe, Tchefuncta River, Bayou Liberty, etc) and on the Gulf Islands, as well as Gulfport, Biloxi, Pensacola, etc..) Great places to sail..
Hi Claude,
I actually was trying to get some more info about a Hunter 34 when I stumbled over this forum. It was the reason why I signed up because I found some great information among the sailors’ comments. But the info was 18 years old and I wanted to get some fresh feedback, so I signed up at Sailboatowners.com.
I do agree with the lower keel being a better choice for these surrounding shallow waters. But doesn’t a longer keel offer more stability when you sail into the open waters and the sea gets a bit rougher? If I dive into this hobby, I surely will sooner or later take the boat to the more tropical places and try to make healthy and wise choices right at the beginning. It is tough since many of you are recommending the right thing to do and start out with a small boat. But how long will it take me to get into a more experienced feeling about sailing and start some larger adventures over a 2-week passage or so? That’s not actually a question, but a thought that I have. I am a very quick learner, made over 30 years ago my pilot license and understand a few principals of navigation, and have a minor in mechanical engineering which helps me understand quicker the onboard systems and the motor. Yet, there is sooooo much to learn that I must be also honest with myself and say that I might not be ready for a good year before I would dare to go out for a longer ride. Meanwhile, I definitely would like to go out to those places that you have listed in your kind message.

Apr 16, 2020
Catalina 22 Slidell
Jerry, is making you a very nice offer. He is a certified sailing instructor, a knowledge sailor as well as a gentleman and a scholar. You should take him up on his generous offer.
I did! Many thanks for supporting this and adding value to his reputation! ☺