Fresh Water Tank

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Our 1973 Morgan 28 has a poly tank under the V-berth. I've been chasing small cracks over the past few years and welding them with my trusty soldering iron. Now I found a good-size split at the bottom near the outlet fitting. GREAT! Anyway I found ' INCA #53' molded into the top so let's see what Google can do. So I found Inca in California. Emailed them. Got a reply next AM. $253 + ups. Tell us where you want the fittings. Reply came with dimensional drawing too! Exact fit!

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Great when you find folks that are proud of their company and care about the folks who use their products.:)

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Inca is primarily an RV tank mfr...so before you order, ask them what the wall thickness is for their marine water and waste tanks. That you've been chasing cracks, and now a split, in the first one they made could mean that they're too thin to support the weight of the contents--8.33 lbs/gal--without being supported on all sides. Cracks are usually the result of flexing, which only happens when the walls are too thin. If their standard wall thickness is less than 3/8", ask them if they can make it with walls that thick. If they can't, I suggest you check the Ronco Plastics catalog Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog for a tank that fits the space. Their minimum wall thickness is 3/8" and they also install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. Their price may be lower than Inca will charge you to make a thicker tank too...maybe lower than the quote you've already gotten.

Last edited:
Jun 19, 2004
Peggy, once again you have proven why you are the Head Mistress! I just got a response from Inca Plastics and confirmed their tanks are only 3/16" thick (same as our original)! A quick call to Ronco confirms that they're a bit more $$$, but considering the alternative, definitely worth it! Thanks again Peggy for all that you do !

Jun 19, 2004
Water tank update:
Well I finally got around to taking accurate measurements on our tank...Great!!! The Ronco #B101 looks like a perfect fit! Only one problem... I won't be able to get it in the damn boat!!! AARRRGGGHHH...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I hate it when that happens! Is it possible to remove some trim around the companionway hatch to create an opening big enough? A slightly smaller tank that doesn't cost you too much capacity?

Plan B: Two smaller tanks you can link in tandem? You'd lose about 15% capacity.

Jun 19, 2004
...yes Peggy, I've been pondering this dilemma. The current original 1/2" NPT outlet fitting was 'spin-welded' onto the tank and a barb adapter screwed into it. The crack runs approx. 1/4 of the way around the seam of this fitting. The passage between the galley and the mast compression post is only 17" wide, while the perfect replacement tank (Ronco #B101) is 20" high in it's smallest dimension . Sooo...we're considering these options:
1- cut out the cracked area around the outlet and install a Whitecap 1-1/2" thru-hull fitting with attached 5/8 barb, fabricate two "fender washers" from 3/16" HDPE sheet for extra strength around the fitting and 'weld' them with Tap Plastics 'Poly-Weld' (maybe it works like plastic model cement?) cost about $35.-
2- as per your suggestion, keep looking for a pair of smaller tanks . cost $300 to $400.-
3- cut the top of the tank out and install a bladder tank. cost about $200.-
4- (the Nuclear Option :yikes:) cut out a nice 22" x 28" rectangle in the forward section of the hull, put a new tank in and 'glass it back on! ( my buddy says I watch too much of 'The Deadliest Catch' ) :banghead: cost: ????
We'd appreciate if anyone would weigh in on this; like to hear your thoughts and ideas...
thru-hull.jpg

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Don't even consider trying to repair the existing tank. For one thing, NOTHING bonds permanently to PE, but even if it did, we've already established that the 3/16" tank walls are too thin to support the weight of the water in it.
I would NEVER recommend a bladder tank for waste holding, but they're actually ok for water and fuel. Check into that. Vetus are the best.

Jun 19, 2004
Thanks Peggy...I'm gonna give the repair idea a shot for now - only cost 30 bucks. Hopefully it'll last the rest of the season anyway. Then it looks like the Nauta bladder tank is the easiest option here. More to come...

Jun 19, 2004
Hey Ron...it certainly appears to be the original tank. There's just no way it could have been installed after the deck was placed onto the hull! The smallest dimension of this tank (height) is 19" . The space between the hanging locker and the head door is only 17".