Fresh water tank leak in a 9.2A

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Went to the boat today to start commissioning. Removed the boom tent...knocked the barnacles off the prop...flushed the antifreeze out of the engine and fired it up...filled the fresh water tank and flushed the glycol out of the water lines...washed the deck. I was wrapping up ready to leave and I noticed that the carpet in front of the water tank was wet. :cussing:

Looks like I have a hole in my water tank. :eek: I ran the water out of the tank until it stopped leaking. Lucky for me it wasn't at the bottom.

Has anyone tackled this? I couldn't see any access panels. I am thinking that I will have to make some. Tank appears to be aluminum.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Bob

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
You might be able to patch with marine tex or west epoxy, but I don't drink from my tank. Don't think you'd want to drink from epoxy. I hear they don't come out of the boat unless you cut them in two.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Sounds like a blast. I found an FDA approved potable water epoxy, but I agree with you...the downside to ANY plastic, even a plastic tank, is that you will be drinking leachables for a lifetime. The small exposure you get on board a boat is unlikely to be harmful though. Certainly not to an adult. The manufacturer said it would be a permanent fix. However, I'd have to cut an access hole in the tank and then roll two coats of epoxy on the surface of the tank interior. It might actually take less effort to put a new tank in. I'd really prefer that the new tank be aluminum again ($) or stainless ($$$), but might settle on PP or HDPE and put an in-line carbon and sediment filter in, which is something I've been meaning to do anyway. I also do not drink my water. It is just for hand and dishwashing.

Just called a local guy for a rough quote on an Aluminum replacement. He said ~$600-650 for a 40 gal tank, but they specialize in marine tanks and he was familiar with the chanllenges of fitting a vee berth tank. In contrast, Ronco makes plastic 39 gallong vee tanks that are about $350 including shipping from CA.

Oct 13, 2008
S2 8.6 Brunswick, Maine
Nauta flexible tank?

What about a Nauta flexible tank (Pennell Industries)? They are supposed to be easy to install and impart no taste to water, according to the manufacturer's literature but make sure there are no sharp objects nearby. One was installed on the 8.6 that I bought last September as a holding tank. I haven't enough experience with it to have much to say about it for that use.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
A flexible tank certainly is an option, but a fixed tank is probably a better long term option. I plan to keep the boat a long time.

Mar 29, 2008
s2 9.2C NJ
I'd go plastic, it's cheaper and God knows my stink tank has held up for 23 years! I sure wouldn't go to all the trouble of painting the inside of the existing tank.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
I tend to agree with you. Plus I doubt a flexible tank will last long enough to make it worthwhile. If I go plastic it will be the last time I every do the job. However, it will likely have to wait. At least it isn't leaking since I dropped the level. I confirmed that this weekend...however the second time I turned the faucet on the pump wouldn't kick in...no doubt something ELSE to fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.