Fresh water pump chatter

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
I have a O'Day 1987 LE and I'm noticing chatter from my fresh water pump. lt happens when I turn on the power but don't open any facets. The tank has about 10 gallons. The pump does operate OK when I open the facets. Any thoughts?

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Does the pump cycle periodically if the breaker is left on and the faucets aren't used, or is it just when you first turn the breaker on? It's possible that a small leak in the plumbing or a faucet has developed somewhere downstream of the pump, allowing the pressure to get list over time. Also, do you have a pressure accumulator tank anywhere after the pump?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Likely air in the pump discharge line. Open a faucet to run some water through. It should go away.

Sep 7, 2009
The pump does cycle when the power is first turned on and continues until I turn a facets on. I don't have a accumulator tank on the system. You have a good point saying there might be a leak somewhere. I will check this out. Thanks

Sep 7, 2009
Thanks for all of your suggestions. Yesterday I ran the pump , about 10 gallons worth, to remove air in the system.
This didn't help
Plan B : Check all plastic tube fittings. Found a crack in the multi tube branch. I'll
be replacing it soon. The plot thickens

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Actually, the plot simplifies. You now know why the pump cycled so much when you first turned it on. It had to fill the partially empty pipes with water until the pressure built up. Good lcuk on the fix. Happened to many of us. You did great finding the leak, that's usually the hardest part!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Plan B : Check all plastic tube fittings. Found a crack in the multi tube branch. I'll
be replacing it soon. The plot thickens
I am guessing that the area of the crack had a bit of water squirt about.
Certainly the pump could pressurize the system but it could not hold pressure.
Could the chatter be the pump running and rattling against the surface to which it is attached? Perhaps the rubber feet have worn down and need replacement.