Fresh Water Prime- Can't Get it

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
On my boat, I have both a water tank and the ability to hook up to dock water through my shurflo regulator valve. When commissioning the system this year, I was having problems the water from the tank getting prime, but then I cleaned out the filter before the pump and things started flowing well. For the dock water side, I hooked up the hose but hardly anything comes out. If I leave the faucet off for awhile and then reopen I get a big gush for 15 seconds and then it trickles off. I ran the hoses (as best I could) and there do not seem to be any leaks or any kinks. I checked the screen at the valve and that's clean as well. It was working fine in the fall- any thoughts or solutions ? Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The ShurFlow inlet has a built in pressure regulator. It sounds from your note that the regulator is malfunctioning. Most likely there is a blockage in the regulating valve itself or the vent which gives the regulator a pressure reference (atmos perssure) is blocked.. look for mud nests or spider blockages in the vent first, then look for blockages in the valve behind the screen ..

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
is blocked.. look for mud nests or spider blockages in the vent first, then look for blockages in the valve behind the screen ..
:plus:

Damn mud daubers are a real PITA. If Mud Daubers or Spider egg sacks turn out to be the problem, consider leaving out an open tupperware of moth balls the next time you close up your boat. That will keep them away. It will also keep mice and other pests at bay. An added bonus is the fact that the active ingredient in moth balls (naphthalene) will kill mold spores. You will need to close the tup and air out the boat before use..... so ... always a trade-off.

Feb 27, 2004
Hunter 335 North East, MD
So to close this thread- I couldn't get that regulator valve separated from the dock hose (which I left on all winter my bad)- PB blaster and heat were no help finally was able to remove valve from boat and had to cut off hose fitting. With that removed the problem was indeed "stuff in the screen". I did replace the 24 year old valve with a new one with more modern fittings and everything worked- lesson learned