Fresh water manifold connection loose

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
IMG_20170427_111428.jpg
My 2007 Hunter 38 fresh water connection for the vanity has come loose from the manifold. I pushed it back in but it doesn't lock. How do these lock? What is the purpose of the small white ring on the fitting? Thanks

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Pat

They hold by compression. Push it in as tightly as you can. Look at the other ones that are still connected and you can See where the white ring goes.

Notice that the white ring slides between what looks like a collar and the manifold body.
That collar is actually what holds the tubing in. When it's pressed in towards the body the tubing can be pulled out. When it's out the tubing can't come out.
And the white ring is what keeps the collar from being pushed in and therefor the tubing connected.

I hope that makes sense.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Thanks so much for your help. The collar assembly failed - I found a small plastic piece with a metal barb fall out when I removed the white plastic ring! I moved the connection to a lower unused valve put in the plastic ring and compressed and I'm back in business!
We were crossing the Florida Bay from the Everglades to Marathon when it broke and ran our tank dry so no harm done. It would have been worse if it happened when we were anchored in the Dry Tortugas.
BTW if you're in Pentwater this summer please use our mooring while there. Thanks again Pat

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Thanks so much for your help. The collar assembly failed - I found a small plastic piece with a metal barb fall out when I removed the white plastic ring! I moved the connection to a lower unused valve put in the plastic ring and compressed and I'm back in business!
We were crossing the Florida Bay from the Everglades to Marathon when it broke and ran our tank dry so no harm done. It would have been worse if it happened when we were anchored in the Dry Tortugas.
BTW if you're in Pentwater this summer please use our mooring while there. Thanks again Pat
Hi Pat
Glad you are back in business. I was installing a water heater bypass for winterizing one time and had something similar. Except that it was caused by the O ring getting slightly askew. It leaked and wouldn't stay connected. When I straightened the o ring out all was well.
The do sell the manifolds here on the SBO site so if you need parts to effect a repair I'd bet you could get them here.

Hey we might just take you up on the mooring offer. It's a really generous offer. We plan to take a long cruise this summer as I mostly retired last August. I dropped to a very part time schedule and work 8 hours a week now. It's a wonderful arrangement and will give me a lot of time to go sailing. Planning on a 4 to 6 week trip.
We'd need to get info on where it is. Are you planning to be in Pentwater this summer?

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 38 Pentwater MI
Yes we are back in Pentwater May 20th. We are at 5343 West Monroe. Pentwater. If you Google it you will see the house and two docs. The mooring are a few hundred feet offshore in 17 feet of water. I have a dinghy if you need one.

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
Yes we are back in Pentwater May 20th. We are at 5343 West Monroe. Pentwater. If you Google it you will see the house and two docs. The mooring are a few hundred feet offshore in 17 feet of water. I have a dinghy if you need one.
Really cool.

We will try to look you up when we are up that way