Fresh Water Leak

Aug 26, 2007
Hunter 41DS Ventura, California
My 41DS has developed a leak in the pressurized water system and I am at a loss as to how to identify the location. It only leaks into the bilge at a very slow rate and only when pressurized. The majority of the plumbing is difficult to inspect and I would prefer to determine the approximate location before removing floor panels to expose the plumbing. The tanks are surrounded by foam insulation so difficult to inspect but since they are vented, I don't think they are pressurized so I assume the leak is downstream from the pump.

I do have pool leak detecting dye so could isolate which tank was leaking if it was in fact a tank. The only procedure I can figure out is to turn off all the circuits from the main distribution manifold and turn them on one by one. This could take a long time since the leak is so slow(overnight to get the bilge water level high enough to turn on the small bilge pump). The pump will eventually turn on and cycle as it pumps out and bilge slowly refills. I live 200 miles from the boat so this process could take months.

It is probably wishful thinking that there is clever procedure to find the leak without tearing up all the flooring but one can only hope!

Any help greatly appreciated!

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
That sucks. It can be very frustrating. What kind of plumbing have you, I mean, what kind of tubing, fittings, etc.?

I always thought that over-pressurizing it, perhaps just with air, and going around listening, might be a good troubleshooting approach.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
That sucks. It can be very frustrating. What kind of plumbing have you, I mean, what kind of tubing, fittings, etc.?

I always thought that over-pressurizing it, perhaps just with air, and going around listening, might be a good troubleshooting approach.
Smoke test it